1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello & I don't own a Prius yet

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bensmail, Nov 24, 2009.

1. bensmail

bensmail New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all

I need to get a new car some time in the next few months. I've been tossing around a few options but I'm pretty settled now on getting A Prius, probably 2005 or 2006 model?

For some reason I just feel the need to have the highest gas mileage I can get.... it's not about saving money on gas or so much about my personal contribution to the environment (although that helps) but more of helping push a trend to improve the environment. It just makes me so angry that the average MPG for a small car is under 50mpg these days. I don't want to support a car company or model that isn't at least trying to improve our situation.

I'm interested in a plug in conversion and have been looking at a kit from a company called Enginer. However I've just started scratching the surface for researching this car and the plug in kits. I can handle electronics and my brother is a car mechanic so I feel we can handle the installation. It just feels right... for me.

Any tips on which year (if any) I should focus on, what mileage I should aim for, price range... etc.. would be appreciated.

I'm in Maine so I'd need snow tires. I'm also interested in a block heater.

That's all I can think of for now and I'm off to start reading posts.

Thanks!
    -Ben

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 onward.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello Ben,

I bought my new Gen3 Prius about a month ago...absolutely no regrets. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Prius as much as I do mine even though it's an older model because part of the reason I enjoy mine so much is the support you'll find here that you won't find anywhere else!

You could not have found a better place to find answers to your Prius questions- the people here are really knowledgeable and come from a very diverse backgrounds bringing all kinds of terrific experience and knowledge to the mix.

Enjoy your research and you eventual purchase!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're going PHEV, I suspect a 2005 will be a smaller dent on your wallet. However, 2006 models have a few upgrades

- better dashboard/upper door panel material
    - front occupant detection system for the front passenger
    - higher resolution MFD (those with backup cameras)
    - availability of a backup camera
    - Auxiliary input
    - MP3/WMA CD compatability.