1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello, possibly getting an 01 prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sandm849, May 18, 2010.

1. sandm849

sandm849 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I am possibly getting a 2001 prius from a friend of the family. The battery has been replaced within the last six months. Other than that I do not know anything about the car at this time. I am a mechanic by nature and occupation however, I am very leary about buying this car because of its hybrid drivetrain. Not to mention, I am not sure about problems.. Being as this was the first year of production in the us Im sure they had their fair share of problems and don't want to regret getting it with expensive parts (im assuming) and many problems.

Any input and advice would be great. I am not even sure of the mileage at this time. I do know it would be in the 4500-5500 price range (unless thats too high, like I said its a friend of the family so they can work on the price). So any input and advice would be great. It is not in the greatest of exterior condition with a few minor scrapes and dings. If that price seems high, what would be fair to buy it for?

thanks again
    mark

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi new poster, my opinion would perhaps be more positive than most. But you should make an effort to (by using the VIN) obtain the vehicle service history from a Toyota shop. If there are interesting things (or absences) there we can discuss them.

You say you are leery going in, and I have no response to that. Is there family pressure on you to make this deal?

3. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe you could let us know where you got your 2008 with solar package....same place you're advertising for?