1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello Prius, Goodbye Buick

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Code Blue, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the August 11, 2008, Chicago Tribune, Sanford M. Jacoby, who teaches management and public policy at UCLA and wrote "The Embedded Corporation: Corporate Governance and Employment Relations in Japan and the United States," explains where GM went wrong:

Hello, Prius. Goodbye, Buick -- chicagotribune.com

2. NeoPrius

NeoPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been a buy American kind of guy. I patiently waited for American companies to come out with fuel efficient small cars, knowing (as anyone who follows the financial news knows) that some day gas prices were going to rise sharply. So, when my daughter became old enough to learn to drive, my wife and I set out to find a small, safe, fuel efficient car for her to learn in. Guess what? For all my years of patience, the big three let me down. All they had was cheap, mediocre rebranded foreign imports (e.g. the Chevy Aveo :mad:), and big gas guzzling SUVs. What a choice - and gas prices hadn't even begun to rise yet.

Well, if all they are going to offer is that, I give up. I figure I might as well buy directly from foreign car makers and get exactly what I'm looking for. Perhaps that market signal is one they'll understand.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A great example of how corporate greed is not a vice reserved to corporate officers and directors -- it belongs to institutional investors and even individual shareholders. How many times should adults be expected to learn that delayed gratification may have significant benefits?

4. Code Blue

Code Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It seems like a no-win situation; if you don't plow all the money back into dividends for the shareholders, you're out of a job, and the next guy will have to do it. But if you give the money to shareholders, you've got nothing for R&D, and then the company falls behind. And then those shareholders abandon you and go looking for fast money somewhere else, blaming you for the company's bad foresight.

So, given that it's a no-win situation, you ought to do what you think is right. At least then when you fail, you failed on your own terms.

Of course, that assumes you know what the right thing is to do, and you aren't just trying to be the Wall Street star by mortgaging the future and then jumping ship yourself when things go bad. And there's always a government bailout if things go really bad later on.

5. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think this was fitting based on the story above...

A Japanese company ( Toyota ) and an American company(General Motors) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak peformance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.
    GM very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired
    a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give
    the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the "Rowing Team Quality First Program," with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.
    Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

Sadly, The End.

Sad, but oh so true! Here's something else to think about: GM has spent the last thirty years moving all its factories out of the US, claiming they can't make money paying American wages. Toyota has spent the last thirty years building more than a dozen plants inside the US. The last quarter's results: Toyota makes 4 billion in profits while GM racked up 9 billion in losses GM folks are still scratching their heads. Don't even think about Ford.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hate to admit this, but in that situation I always try to be the consultant. Hey, it's a living!