1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hello

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Diminias, May 31, 2018.

1. Diminias

Diminias New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there.

So I now own a 2005 Prius with 208K miles on it. Honestly I didn’t expect to own a Prius a year ago. A year ago I literally worked 15 minutes from home, so I could walk, bike, or even drive the worst vehicle for gas on the planet and still not have to worry too much about gas mileage. Then they shut down, so I started looking for a new job.

In October of last eat I found that new job, it paid more, but was a 35 mike commute one way. Not really a problem the wife an I had two vehicles in our stable, I was driving our 2005 Chevrolet Colorado to work, but also had a 2010 Chevrolet Impala LT for the wife. So we basically swapped cars and things were good. Then in mid May I hit a deer on my way home from work and totaled the Impala.

Insurance kicked in and I drove a rental for about a week. I owed about $4800 on the Impala, not to mention I stuck $4000 into it because the transmission self destructed and cracked the forward band a month before. So I haggled with the insurance and managed to get them to give me $7700, about $1000 over blue book value.

The wife and I were in the best of places financially after the $4000 for a new transmission in the Impala. So we decided that we’d buy something that we could drive hard to work and for travel with a low budget. We drove VWs, Chevrolet’s, Fords, and Nissans. But for our price range they all seemed to have their major issues that would require me to fix them for the first three weeks we had them.

Then this 05’ Prius showed up on my Facebook feed. I knew Prius’ are great cars, but I never expected a 05’ to drive as well as my 10’ Impala with 100K less miles. I was impressed the only issue with the car was the classic check engine light for the gas cap. The body has certainly seen better days but for our budget I just felt like this car was it.

We bought it that day and drove it home and so far this car has really impressed us.

I do have a few concerns, obviously with 208k miles on it and that’s why I decided to join the forum. I’ve found myself coming to this place over and over since we’ve bought the car. It seems like there lots of good information here.

I look forward to talking with everyone.

Burna J and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)