1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help…tax credit on 2021 prim

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by hyhi, Apr 6, 2024.

1. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I happened by a local Toyota dealer today and they had a used 2021 XLe Prius prime for sale so the question is is there a inflation reduction tax credit that can be applied to that used prime and if so, what does it have to meet in order to qualify?

Dealer is telling me they are not part of that program which almost doesn’t make sense to me, but I could be mistaken. If what they are telling me is incorrect, they’re either ill informed or maybe just blowing me off.

Also, any thoughts on a 21 XLe prime. Is that a good year to consider and trim? It has a large nav Screen

kind of looks rad (cool) to me and I like the rear visibility, the extra headroom versus the new prime.

even though the new Prius has like 98 more horsepower and the dang thing looks drop dead, gorgeous. Although I’m kind of digging the look of the 21 prime. Grane you kind of lose a little bit of the storage volume due to that battery in the back on the 21.

Thank you for any input. wasn’t looking for a used prime, but I just happened to see it.

Any tax incentive would be icing on the cake, which would maybe make me move on to buy it if it qualified. There are no state incentives where I live

2. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, I forgot to add one point. If it might qualify for a federal tax rebate then the question is if I trade in a vehicle, would that reduce the selling price if needed, to a lower amount…say to get to a Max selling price allows for said tax deduction, is such allowed to qualify for a tax rebate thank you.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Federal rebate is applied at the dealership. They need to file the paperwork, but your on the hook if you don't qualify. Max price for the car is $25K and you need to make less than $75K adjusted gross for single filer. Good for $4K and may be used as a down payment. IRS will ding you and claw-back, if you don't qualify - but if you never file, no worrieso_O:p

4. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Much appreciated, I contacted Toyota directly at their 800 number, but they were a little help other than to direct me to their FAQ page, which did not have any information that I could find.

And if indeed it is a dealer option to participate in the “program” then a customer loses out if you go to a dealer that doesn’t not allow you to take advantage of that tax savings.
    Maybe it’s too much paperwork for them or maybe they just don’t care

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    LoL, dealerships charge you for filing the paperwork - why would they mind. It's usually classified in miscellaneous cost and fees. Chances are they're asking more that the Federal limitation, cap of $25K - so it doesn't qualify.
    Got a few dealerships out here with used Rav4 Primes in inventory; asking way over the federal cut-off; for a few thousand more - you could buy a new one. If they sold it at MSRP.

6. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I got this for my used 2019 Prime for 2023. There are some changes in 2024.

The price paid - including dealer surcharges and handling fees, not including taxes, title, and registration fees must be less than $25,000.

The dealer must file some paperwork with the IRS - in 2023 it was manual. In 2024, they can do it online at the IRS website.

You'll need to file form 8936, which has some limitations on your personal income (the credit is only available to those that make under a certain limit). This generates the 30% of the price paid or $4000 whichever is smaller - that goes onto 1040 Schedule 3. line whatever.

Used Clean Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

7. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good to know, thank. you. I left them a 'nice' review on google maps. Guessing...maybe...they have their reasons plus the one I was looking at was price over 25k. And once you take into account the price paid cost such as dealer surcharges...their dealer fee is $995...then indeed that blows way past the 25k limit.

Guess some dealers just don't want to help the customer out...News Flash I know lol.

bisco likes this.
  8. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I looked at quite a few Gen 4 Primes, and almost all of them were just above the 25K limit. Of course, this gives you a strong place to twist their arms on during dealer negotiations, and I think a lot of them would cave if push came to shove. You've gotta have the ability to walk out the door, and keep looking till you find one that suits your needs. Oh, and a dealer that doesn't mind doing the IRS paperwork.

In my case, the car had a couple (very minor) dings. Most dealers would probably have these fixed, which drives the price up. I'd rather have factory paint that doesn't chip, and can tolerate a small ding. It's not like it's going to make it more than a couple years until something happens anyway.

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Danno5060 likes this.
  10. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: