1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP--'04 rear Brake Shoe change-Bleed ?--going on now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigJoe, Apr 13, 2015.

1. BigJoe

BigJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I said I wouldn't do it, but here I am. I started working on the Prius without looking up what the heck I am doing.

I have an 2004 Prius, 218k, replacing the rear brakes, I unplugged the negative on the battery, and have replaced the shoes.

During replacement I had the rubber boots on the cylinder came off, a couple times...now what to do ??

I don't want to plug battery back in, or try to bleed the brakes, until I check with someone.. As I now realize that I should have read before I worked.....HELP... Joe--661-547-5848

p.s. I do have a laptop with Techstream ver 8.00.034 & some newer versions, & a cheap dongle, not used it much though, new to the program..

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is time for you to subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so that you can download brake bleeding instructions to use with Mini VCI.

If you didn't damage the wheel cylinder pistons when they came out of the cylinder (by for example, having a piston drop on the concrete floor which put a dent into the piston) then you should be able to reassemble the cylinder without any ill effect. After you have put the drum brakes back together and bled the system, take a test drive. Press as hard as you can on the brake pedal a few times. The brake pedal must stabilize at a certain distance above the floor and not sink further.

After you return from the test drive, pull the rear drum to make sure the brake wheel cylinder remains dry with no fluid leakage. If any leakage is present or your earlier test resulted in the brake pedal sinking under pressure from your foot, you may need to replace the wheel cylinder.

3. BigJoe

BigJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick, thanks for the reply, roger on the tech info site, looking now....

I did find a procedure online (techno fan* website) "Brake Fluid Bleeding" that looks like all that I have seen..right now just trying to get this thing back together without any more issue's..

I still haven't plugged in the battery, but that is the next logical step, & then go thru bleed procedure..

4. BigJoe

BigJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, it looks like it worked out, thanks to Patrick for the guidance, I will be more careful. There are no leaks, Techstream worked fine, no problems, DONE !

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base