1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help 06 prius with multiple codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hurricane, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi new to the forums world and to this site. I have a 2006 prius with about 277k on it. Recently it gave the red triangle of doom along with the check engine light and the yellow exclamation point. I plugged in my habor fright scanner and got these codes p0a78 p0a80 c1378 c1259 c1310. I also looked at the freeze frame and those gave p0a78 and p3012. I was hoping someone can point me to a good starting point to diagnose and repair or if i should just sell it due to cost of repairs. Thanks for any insight.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the high voltage traction battery.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hurricane, where are you located?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    diy or dealer service?

5. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the replies. Would the traction battery replacement solve all of the the codes or is that the place to start? I plan on doing this myself. I am located in Hamilton, Ohio.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A great question. DTC P0A80 and P3012 indicate that the traction battery has failed and also pinpoints the second module pair to be at fault.

DTC P0A78 points to a problem with the inverter, transaxle or hybrid vehicle ECU (depending upon which three-digit subcode is logged). You need Toyota Techstream to have visibility to the subcode.

DTC C1378 points out a problem with the backup brake power supply which is a capacitor bank located next to the 12V battery.

My guess is that these three problems did not simultaneously occur; rather you have been living with one or more of these issues for a while. You'll have to say whether this is true or not.

Considering the odometer reading of the car, I would say that it might be time to take it to the salvage yard. You likely will have to spend much more than the current market value of the car to remedy these three issues.