1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! 2001 Prius advice needed

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gamergirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. gamergirl

gamergirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After a series of expensive repairs and problems with the last 2 used cars I've owned, I'm ready for a Prius. However, my budget is under $7,000, so I need to buy a used model again. I found a 2001 Prius for sale by someone who obtained it at auction, it has only 65,000 miles on it, with everything in working order. The carfax looks good, and the seller told me the battery has a full charge. He would like $8,000 for it, but I'm hoping that is negotiable.

My question for all you knowledgable Prius owners is what should I be looking at when test driving and inspecting the car? Also, what should I be prepared for, in terms of maintenance and possible repairs? What will I need to do on a regular basis to keep this Prius in good condition?

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice, I DESPERATELY need it!

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The two big problems with Gen1 2001-2003 Prius are the HV aka "big" battery and the transmission aka "transaxle".

good used/rebuilt HV battery is around $1400-$1700 installed.

good used tranny is around $2000-$4000 installed.

I would find a hybrid friendly repair shop near the seller and ask them to do a pre-purchase inspection on the car.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Something $eriou$ has to be wrong with that car. Normal mileage would be at least double that. With only 65000 miles and it there should be people standing in line waiting to buy that car. If you don't have the money to buy a better newer car you don't have the money to fix whatever is going to be wrong with this one. Don't even touch it with a stick & run away.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Definitely, a pre-purchase inspection. Equally important to obtain a complete service history, from Toyota, based on the VIN.

Frankly (and I think Patrick Wong would agree) if you are not in a position to get the detailed full history of this vehicle, maybe look at some non-hybrids. No doubt, many fine cars pass through auction, but maybe I'm wrongly prejudiced against the system.

Toyota and Honda both could be excellent choices for used compact cars, and they are easier for most mechanics to assess.

5. gamergirl

gamergirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for the prompt replies! I really appreciate the advice. Would this info help:

Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
    04/16/2001 NJ
    Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
    05/08/2001 BROOKLYN, NY
    Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
    06/05/2001 NY
    Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
    01/09/2002 JERSEY CITY, NJ
    State Agency RIGHT FRONT IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE(Case #:1031-02)
    VEHICLE WAS TOWED
    04/11/2002 NY
    State Agency PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION
    12/20/2004 NY
    State Agency EMISSION INSPECTION
    PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION
    01/02/2007 BROOKLYN, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    04/03/2007 BROOKLYN, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation BODY SERVICE PERFORMED
    09/27/2007 WHITESTONE, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation FUEL SYSTEM SERVICED
    ENGINE SERVICED
    SUSPENSION SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    BODY SERVICE PERFORMED
    02/25/2008 BROOKLYN, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation BRAKES SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    04/04/2008 BROOKLYN, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation TIRES/WHEELS SERVICE PERFORMED
    04/21/2008 BROOKLYN, NY
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    05/05/2008 WHITESTONE, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation ENGINE SERVICED
    AIR CONDITIONING SERVICED
    SUSPENSION SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    BODY SERVICE PERFORMED
    07/08/2008 WHITESTONE, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation COOLING SYSTEM SERVICED
    AIR CONDITIONING SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    07/24/2008 WHITESTONE, NY
    ENGINE SERVICED
    BRAKES SERVICED
    09/08/2008 WHITESTONE, NY
    ENGINE SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    01/15/2009 WHITESTONE, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation COOLING SYSTEM SERVICED
    ENGINE SERVICED
    TRANSMISSION SERVICED
    SUSPENSION SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    BODY SERVICE PERFORMED
    05/18/2009 BROOKLYN, NY
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    09/30/2009 BROOKLYN, NY
    01/12/2010 BROOKLYN, NY
    02/18/2010 WHITESTONE, NY
    03/01/2010 WHITESTONE, NY
    Fleet Management Corporation BRAKES SERVICED
    SUSPENSION SERVICED
    TIRES/WHEELS SERVICE PERFORMED
    10/04/2010 BROOKLYN, NY
    01/04/2011 WHITESTONE, NY
    ENGINE SERVICED
    ELECTRICAL SYSTEM SERVICED
    LUBE, OIL/FILTER CHANGED
    EXHAUST SYSTEM SERVICE PERFORMED
    BODY SERVICE PERFORMED
    02/10/2011 WHITESTONE, NY
    05/13/2011 WOODSIDE, NY
    Dealer Service VEHICLE SERVICED

I contacted the dealer who last serviced the car, and was told it checked out fine and needed no repairs. Would it be best for me to ask the owner if I could take this car to a Toyota dealer of my choice, and get a diagnostic to make sure it is in good condition? Are there tests that would determine if the transmission were OK?

Thanks again for the help everyone!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I am wondering why the first recorded oil change was at 25K miles.

2. Apparently the car was owned by a business since Fleet Mgmt Corp performed the routine service from 25K to 65K miles? Might be interesting to know what the car was used for.

3. It is a promising sign that the dealer who last serviced the car indicated it was fine (as long as that dealer has no financial interest in the sale of the car to you.)

4. Transaxle problems might be mechanical in nature, in which case you will hear unusual noises. Or they could be electrical in nature in which case you will receive zero advance notice of a problem, until one day you see the instrument panel light up like a Christmas tree.

5. If you are interested in purchasing the car, I suggest that you agree on a price with the owner, subject to satisfactory inspection at a Toyota dealer of your choice. Once you have this agreement then go ahead with the inspection. Good luck.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the car is as you say (65K miles) and in good shape, I would not hesitate to buy it. I have found the Gen I Prius to be very reliable and wouldn't be leary of it. I would test drive it and check the oil and fluids. Look in the engine compartment for signs of fluid leaks. The best indication of a weak battery is the MPG readout on the primary display panel. If it has been averaging for at least 100 miles, you should be getting at least 40mpg average (about 38 if the AC has been running). Anything less will usually indicate a weak battery. A car with only 65k miles should not have a weak battery and you should expect about 43-45mpg.

8. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it is the original 12v battery it is 10 years old. How long do you expect it to last?

9. gamergirl

gamergirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Are you saying that these batteries lose power, or become weak, with age? I was under the impression that these batteries last for about 180,000 miles, on average. Am I incorrect?

Thanks again to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate the input!

10. rlouie

rlouie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two different batteries...

The 12V one seems to need replacement when something "funny" happens with the car.

The one you are referring to is the HV or traction battery which your estimate is generally as good as anyone else's.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that in general, the Classic original equipment traction battery, which currently is 8-10 years old depending upon model year, can't be expected to last much longer because of its age and imperfect battery module seals allowing electrolyte leakage, high voltage faults, etc.

This is regardless of odometer reading. If you decide to buy a 2001, have money (well into four-digits) set aside for repairs in the near future.

12. gamergirl

gamergirl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I spoke to the owner again, and he when I asked if the battery was the original one, he said no, it was a "refurbished" one. I have no idea if this is a good thing or not?

13. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A refurbished traction battery is going to be as good as the person doing the job. Generally I'd say having a battery repair behind you is good.

14. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2-cents - I'd stay away.

Irregardless of the car itself - it sounds like you have a max of 7k - with this car you would be pushing your limit. You do not mention if the 7k is all of your car budget, but with any older car you definitely want to keep cash on hand for the unexpected - and with any 10 year old car there will be unexpected issues - you always just hope that they pop up later rather than sooner.

If it were me I'd look at getting an older used car for about half of my one year car budget - so if you have 7k for the year I'd look at 3500 or so. For that price the car that I'd look for is a Geo or Chevy Prizim - it is the car that GM built along side Toyota in the NUMMI plant and is essentially a Toyota Corolla in GM clothing. Because of this you wind up getting a Corolla which is about as reliable as anything out there, but sells for a decent bit less because it is sold by GM.

Toyota and Prius have very good track records, but you need to keep in mind that the car is 10 years old. There are a large number of the rubber bits of the car (belts, gaskets, etc) that dry out with age and also keep in mind that it appears to have spent its life in NYC. It would lead me to believe that it could have a lot of hours of use on it - just the fact that it was in the city made it short and slow trips - this is much harder on cars than highway driving. Add in the snow and rust would be a real concern - this is spoken by a native Bostonian who has had more than his share of problems with rust.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If "refurbished" means that all 38 battery modules were replaced with used 2G modules, then this might be OK as a long-term repair.

If that means that the single failed module was replaced with a used module, then I would say the repair will not last long-term, and you should not be surprised when another module fails.

16. granny92105

granny92105 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 Prius. I'm retired so very low mileage (under 50K). A couple of weeks back all the warning lights came on. Friend of mine owns a garage which has computer to check such things. He said the main battery, cell 11 is weak. When I saw the price tag of replacement (and no one knows how to replace just the faulty part) plus I'm just passed the ten year "warranty". I'm in a quandary. It was still driving just fine, still charging normally. Then a few days ago, when I turned it on, drove it a short distance, it went into neutral. Had to coast to side of road. Waited a few minutes. I was only a few blocks from my friend's garage. I asked him to check the transmission fluid, because I couldn't find the dip stick (stupid me). I didn't realize the Prius does not have a "normal" transmission. He told me the Prius "transmission" would have to be looked into at a dealer garage. Thank you AAA. Had it take to El Cajon dealer (they have a good reputation & free wifi - this granny is up to date). Yesterday, some good news, some bad news. They said now there is 3 bad cells in the main battery. They can fix it for just under $2000. (My credit card is already maxed.) I asked, will that make the transaxle start working properly? He said, probably. I asked if he would put that in writing? He said, no. It might take several thousand more dollars to fix that problem. With such low mileage, I'm beginning to think I just might have a permanent lemon, so what would be the point in sinking such huge amounts of money. I'd be better off using $500 to fix my sister's old Dodge Ram (small) pickup for transportation. What do you Prius experts think? Please tell me if there is some way to get Toyota to do something about their tarnished reputation?

17. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have the 12V battery checked? If the 12V battery is flakey it could cause all kinds of trouble and the car could appear to have other problems.

Did you buy the car new? If so, You should call Toyota Corporate offices and play the "retired granny card" say that you put your faith in their newfangled hybrid technology back in 2001 and the battery died with only 50k miles on it....they may fix it under goodwill. If not, there are used Gen1 batteries rebuilt with Gen2 cells for around $1400-$1800 installed....they should last at least 5 more years.

With 50k the tranny should be fine, I would have it serviced as preventative maintenance measure (any mechanic should be able to do tranny service no need to use the dealer)...give the mechanic this link Gen1 Prius Transaxle Service

1 person likes this.
  18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Excellent link on tranny service. Thanks a bunch.