1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! 2004 - 150K miles and battery issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dbear, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dbear

dbear New Member

OK, hjere is my situation:

as stated my Prius is an 04 model. I just turned over 150,000 miles and I am having the following issue.

The hybrid battery doesn't seem to be holding power. It discharges rapidly when going into a headwind or up a hill. When it hits the pink zone, the vehicle begins to surge and slow down.

I am getting no warning lights and my dealer says he can't figure out any problems.

Also, I am in central Vermont, so we deal with cold, etc.

Thanks!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to offer much in the way of "help". What you describe could be a sign of impending battery failure, but they should be able to test the battery to determine it's condition...in fact they should be able to tell you the condition of each individual cell.

Have they actually tested the battery or just checked for codes? I'd specifically ask them to check the battery condition....there'll probably be a signficiant charge for it and the news you get may not be news you want to hear since you're well out of warranty.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you buy it used, recently? New? Salvaged? As Efusco says, a little more info is needed. It's uncommon that a Toyota hybrid tech would just walk away saying, 'beats me'. I mean heck, there's $$ to be made! Was it an actual dealer, or just the local shloemoe who made that judgement call? It is not unheard of for the high voltage system, including the nickel batteries, to make it into the 200k longevity range. Is the car garaged? Do you have a block heater? Anyway, the hybrid tech we've used is more than willing to ride with us to watch unusual conditions ... did the repair person repeat your condition so they could see it for their self? All unanswered questions aside, congrat's on membership in the 100K miles plus club, and let us know how things evolve.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doesn't sound like there's a problem, simply less charge available due to battery age.

If there are no codes and pink is only seen during times of strain, all is probably just fine.

5. HappyPig

HappyPig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What dealership was this in Vermont? I want to make sure it's not mine!

6. dbear

dbear New Member

Sorry - more info

I purchased the vehicle used from a Toyota dealer in 2004. It had 13 k miles.

I have owned it since then. All service has been done at a franchised Toyota dealer in Burlington, VT. Not garaged. No block heater. Starting is not an issue. First mile I drive every day is all downhill and results in full green on the display when I hit the main road.

Rapid discharge and stuttering is becoming more prevalent.

Service writer told me "Well, there really isn't a diagnostic we can do to see what is going on."

I'm thinking I'll take it to another dealer in a larger metro area.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Get it checked out technically and historically as well. You don't know if the previous owner ran out of gas and ran down the HV battery and caused some damage before.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That makes a difference.

Why did the previous owner part with the car after so few miles? Was it a rental? Whatever the case, battery abuse could have easily occured before you purchased it.

Good luck.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It may not be the previous owner but it could be your driving habbit, terrain of your home, etc... Why don't you tell us about how you drive and the history about the car? Do you have an EV mode and how often do you use it? Have you ran out of gas before?

I am just trying to collect data points to understand the battery issue so that maybe I can avoid too.

10. dbear

dbear New Member

Have never run out of gas.

No EV mode.

Live in Central Vermont. Moderate hills, but 80% of my driving is done on the interstate.

Driving habits?

Cruise control 70-75 on the highway. Feathered accel foot around town.

Obviously, I put a lot of miles on the car. Mornings, I will do a 3-5 minute warm up if it is below 10 or so, otherwise I get in and go.

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd just keep quite and trade it in on a new one.

12. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think this is an option more people should probably explore. 150k miles is not a bad lifespan for a new vehicle. Someone can certainly put a used or refurb battery in and keep it going for another 50k, 100k, or more miles. Ultimately it just depends on if you're willing to put up with an increasing amount of maintenance issues (like any older/high mileage car).

My folks had a head gasket fail in an early 90s Toyota van w/ ~110k miles on the clock. Way out of warranty, and very pricey to fix. Dealer ended up giving them a very generous trade in on a new van, or offered to help with part of the repair cost. Trade in was much better deal so they took it. Dealer should give you at least $9-10k for yours, if not a bit more as a good will gesture. Thats a pretty good chunk out of a new or low mileage used one ....

Batteries can last 200-300k miles, but like anything YMMV. Temperatures, SOC excursions, driving style, terrain, initial process variation will all play into how long your particular battery will end up lasting.

BTW, I would second consulting another dealer. There is quite a lot of data they can read from the battery down to the individual pack level to determine the health of the battery. However the most likely outcome of that is still, you probably need a new battery. Then your choices are buy new from dealer, buy used from junkyard, or try to have your pack rebuilt by one of several pioneering individuals.

rob

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's what I'd do.

14. jim240

jim240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Have you replaced you 12v battery yet? A bad 12v volt battery can drag down you traction battery due to the 12v converter trying to keep dead 12v at 14.7v or what ever the regulator is set to. 4 years is about the service life of a lead acid battery.Jim

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It may not be a battery problem at all. If the ICE has lost compression and is producing less power after 150K miles, the electric side is having to do more work, draining the battery faster. Have them do a compression and leakdown check of the ICE.

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Especially since I don't trust that dealership to change my oil anymore. And don't let them change your cabin air filter, they charge $18 for the labor. Buy the filter and do it yourself in 3 minutes for free.

Did Joel (unless they have more than 1 Certified Prius Tech now) look at it or did they give it to some generic mechanic that probably doesn't even know there are 2 batteries in it?

After telling the service manager why I would no longer be bringing our Prii there for general maintenance, he said if I did bring it there, only the Prius Tech would touch it. I'm due for my 60K which includes a valve clearance check. Still trying to decide if I trust them or I should try the dealer in St. Albans.

I don't think there is any reason to let it idle 3-5 minutes in the mornings before you head out, especially since you have a long downhill before you get to I/89. I have noticed that my car uses the electric motor more when the engine is cold. More than likely, your ICE is just idling while you go down the hill anyway (not that this has ANY bearing on your current issue).

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that to get heat for the cabin? Doing this noticeably reduces MPGs.

18. saechaka

saechaka Member

i had the same issues last summer when i was on a trip to CA. my charge went down lower and my 05' prius seemed to struggle. i was near 100k and needed to do a radiator flush. i've since changed my radiator fluid and haven't had any issues. maybe you can check out your fluids. i'm at 120k and going fine now but i haven't hit the mtns yet.

19. mcaldwe2

mcaldwe2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would definitely start small. Start with getting the 12V battery tested. As stated previously the 12V battery can bring the system down. But as a tech and you saying "they couldn't figure it out" I am thinking they could not duplicate the problem and since it's not throwing any codes they are saying it "ok" I would take the tech on a test drive and show him/her the issue, if its replicated that easily. Again, start small then work to larger issues. Before jumping to the hybrid battery packs.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm... well, 150,000 miles that is 3000 gallons of gas which is savings of (very conservative estimate) 2000 gallons over a compact car getting 30 mpg (guessing that your weather and driving means only a very small compact will average that)...

2000 gallons saved at same $2.50 is $5,000 you saved by driving the Pri. what other money have you put into it?? brakes?? anything?

well, replacing the battery is about a $3,000 job i think... could offer Sandy something for the brand new traction battery she has in her garage. if not that, i believe there are several options for getting a battery cheap... it is unfortunate the battery may seem to be dying, but all cars have something on them that will potentially fail eventually. not but all cars will save you 3 cents a mile while driving them... in 150,000 miles that adds up