1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! 2008 Prius Navigation..everything in the car works except the screen..???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by barberjoshua, May 14, 2008.

1. barberjoshua

barberjoshua New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    my 2008 prius is a rebuilt salvage but was a super light wreck. Only the front bumper was replaced but the screen inside the car will not work. Everything in the car operates flawlessly except that. I took it to the dealer and they turned up there noses because I let them know it was a rebuilt salvage. What could it be?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (Ah, the joys of buying a salvaged vehicle.) Take it to another dealer, one that is not too snooty to do the needed diagnostic and repair work.

3. barberjoshua

barberjoshua New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes salvage is a pain sometimes but I got one heck of a deal so the troubles are sometimes worth it.
    Anyways the radio does not work or light up. This makes me wonder if its just a connection. Josh

4. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check all fuses??? Pull out the dash and make sure its plugged in....those would be my first guesses without dropping dough on the dealer.

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yea check all the fuses. its not likely that the screen will go bad.

my 05 prius had a few blown fuses ( rebuilt salvage also )
    usually if its front collision, the cooling fan fuse, and some SRS/ABS fuse.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checking all fuses is a good first step, keeping in mind that there is a large relay/fuse box in plain view near the inverter in the engine compartment, and another fuse box hidden behind the instrument panel near the steering column.

If that does not bring joy, then you will have to remove the MFD and test to see if 12V is available on the wiring harness. If you are up to doing that then I suggest you download repair manual docs and wiring diagrams from techinfo.toyota.com which is a subscription website.

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I doubt your account, but I have never seen a brand new car salvaged becasue it needed a $600 (approximate) bumper. I think you need to look deeper if the car was truly a salvage, which in CA means it was totaled by the insurance company.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Conversely, if it is a salvage that implies that it needed more extensive repair work. If it is it would be worth having a certified Prius tech thoroughly check it out to see what else might be wrong it.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car had accident damage in the front and was declared salvage, then it is likely that at minimum the front airbags detonated. Maybe that caused some obscure damage to the wiring harness in the instrument panel, hence the MFD does not work.