1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! 2008 prius touring audio issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by futuredenied, Apr 5, 2014.

1. futuredenied

futuredenied Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 prius touring with the jbl system. It has the 3 plug jbl am under the passenger seat. The car was hit on the passenger side and both passenger doors were replaced before I bought it. When they replace the doors they did not change the speakers back to the jbls, The front speaker and tweeter have very little volume, like next to none, they are playing but are barely audible at full volume. The back wasn't even hooked up. When I did hook it up, it plays but sounds terrible. I'm thinking I should go ahead and get some replacement speakers but I don't think it is my only problem. My question is , Can I replace or easily add a decent amp near the old one, seems easy to add since all of the wiring is there? Also I hooked up another speaker to test the front right, It was an 8 ohm home speaker but was also very quiet, so I'm guessing the problem is in the wiring or amp? thanks in advance!

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the jbl speakers are 2 or 3 ohm, so an 8 ohm speaker has 3-4 x the correct resistance. the base speakers are 4 ohm so they will play at 1/2 the volume of the jbl. there is a link somewhere on this site with the jbl wiring diagrams showing the resistance your replacement speakers need to be. you also may be able to find some jbls at the junk yard, but aftermarket should sound better.

body shop workers are known to be high school drop-out borderline retards, so of course they never do a good job, especially since they don't care either.