1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! 2010 Prius Dynamic Radar Cruise Control problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by imagehh, Oct 10, 2009.

1. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two weeks ago I purchased a 2010 Prius V with dynamic radar cruise control. LOVE this car, I use this dynamic radar cruise control feature daily driving 60 miles to work in Southern California. Just yesterday and today I noticed a weird problem with dynamic radar cruise control, I was not able to turn it on and set a speed while driving, not even able to set standard cruise control! Lane assist turns on with no problem. Seems like it only happens in the morning after I turn on my car and drive to work, after turning off the car then restart the engine, I was able to set the dynamic radar cruise control and seems to function normal afterward, but it happeneed 2nd day in a row. Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you driving shifted to B instead of D?
    _H*

3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you setting the DRCC at speeds ABOVE 25 MPH?

David (aka Blind Guy)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What Hobbit and Blind Guy said are the first two things to check. It may be giving you an error message on the MID Cruise Control Display screen, also look to the right of the MID screen and see if the little speedometer looking cruise control indication is lit up.

Also, and no offense intended, I notice you are pretty new to the car. Reread the cruise control section of the owner's manual and make sure you are operating it correctly. Starts on page 215.

5. imagehh

imagehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I was on the freeway and driving 70 when I repeatedly tried to turn on the cruise control but no response and could not set the speed. Both Dynamic and Standard Cruise control would not set. AND yes I was driving in D not B. It worked this morning, I will closely observe this whole week and report back!

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Remember that you have to turn off CC and the turn it back on to activate standard CC.

No warning messages, eh? did you clean the radar?

7. Richard P

Richard P New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I experienced the same problem the first week-end I had my car. I get the message that the condition of the road did not allow to set the cruise control. Wow ! How can my car was able to judge the condition of the road ? ... My windshield wiper were on maximum speed !

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's one "feature" that doesn't work very well for me either. Even when it's not raining very hard I sometimes use hi speed wipers when passing a truck on the freeway. I would really appreciate it if Toyota would let the driver decide when conditions are unsafe for CC.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly why. Setting the wipers on HI will cancel radar CC.

10. mmcdowell484

mmcdowell484 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had my prius since Dec 09 and haven't had any problems with the cc until this week. I experienced the same problem with it not allowing me to set the cruise control speed. It later worked after I had turned the car off. I was driving under completely normal weather conditions. I don't think you're crazy!

11. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When the Dynamic Cruise begins it shows 9 car lenghts between you and the cars ahead. I have never attempted to set the cruise without more than that space available, even if I intend to reduce the space to just 3 car lengths. Perhaps that is why the DRCC fails to engage.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think your crazy either....Mr. Sikes.

13. nylion

nylion New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had mine since last July. You can set the control even if you are closer than the DRCC likes. It will adjust the spacing. Also you can preset your spacing before engaging the cruise control. Just turn on CC then use the button on the wheel to reduce spacing even without the CC being set. It's a nice feature for those of us who like one bar.

Also, I have found that the speed at which I can engage DRCC varies. I have no idea why. Very rarely it is 25mph, most often 28 or 29.

14. dotc

dotc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How do you turn off the dynamic cruise control? I find that often I would like to disengage it, especially when I get behind a slow moving vehicle and that change lanes to pass it and the cruise just puts the pedal to the metal.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cancel it like you normally would? Just pull the CC stalk towards you. It accelerates hard because you're going much slower than the set speed and its goal is to keep you at that set speed as soon as possible (can you imagine if people start suing Toyota because the CC didn't accelerate fast enough and the person behind crashed into them?).

You can also use regular CC. You have to turn off CC (if it isn't off already), turn it back on, push the CC stalk away from you until the green CC light on the dashboard changes from a DRCC to a CC light and then set your speed like you normally would. You'll know you're in regular CC mode when you don't see the bars on the MID.

16. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But I think Toyota does not appreciate being sued, or even just as the subject of media frenzy again, for a cruise-out-of-control speeding Prius crash, this time in heavy rain.

They had to deal with a Mr. Sikes already. They don't want to deal with another Mr. Yikes!:D

17. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have no problem with that. I just think that Toyota should give a warning telling us about it instead of JUST DOESN'T WORK! Makes you worried that it was defective or something:(

Now I haven't tried that and this is purely my speculation. Can anybody with that experience confirm that there was no warning?

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it not give a warning on the MID? Something about poor road conditions?

19. Kulti

Kulti New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased a Prius 2011 with Option “Vâ€, with all the bells and whistles in February 2011, and have been driving it daily on the freeways since July 2011. My average commute is 80 miles per day, and I have made full use of all the advanced features to make my drive safe - this includes Cruise Control with Radar and Lane Keep Assist (LKA), and from that perspective, I could be considered a pretty good tester for the reliability of these functions. Since I prefer the radar function, I haven’t really used the Non-Radar Cruise, which is normally on in all Priuses.
    In my experience, the dependability of the Radar Control function is quite high in the approximately 12,000 miles I have driven, but there have been three times where it has broken down, one of which is described below.
    I was driving home from work last month (December 2011), and I noticed that I was unable to turn on the dynamic radar cruise control to set the cruise speed. The screen displayed the “Radar Ready†sign, but both the standard and advanced cruise controls wouldn’t set at the desired speed. I made sure the LKA function was on, and kept trying to set the speed. Finally, after about 30 miles, I exited the freeway, pulled over in a parking lot, stopped the car and turned it on again. Presto! The Radar Cruise Control was back on again.
    Similar experience of re-start came up third time on 2/9/2012, while leaving for work on a surface street. Pulled the car out to a parking lot to do the restart.

Since I don’t like crucial features in my car randomly switching on and off, I booked an appointment with the dealership to get it checked out. I tried the Radar Control from then until the appointment, and the issue did not reappear. The experts at the dealership where of no help either, and their checks didn’t indicate any issue.
    If any of the users here (or Toyota) can explain under what circumstances the cruise control might turn off, and why restarting the car fixes the issue, it will be very helpful to me and any other users with this particular feature in their Prius.

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That isn't normal. My guess is whatever computer that controls DDCR is defective. You should get it reported every time it happens and hopefully they'll replace that component. It might be a good idea to drive directly to the dealer the next time it happens and take the service advisor for a spin so they don't give you the "can't reproduce the problem" song and dance.