1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help/Advice on Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by arbitrage, May 2, 2007.

1. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've got a US Prius (no Daytime Running Lights) that I've brought to Canada (to save money). Now I need a way to activate DRLs (not just leave the lights on). I've read that adding the Hamsar DRL module would do the trick, and was wondering if anyone had done this before and could give me some pointers (or a simpler method).

If I took it in to a Toyota dealer / mechanic what would be a reasonable price?

I posted in the "pimp/mods" forum but got no responses :( - the latest threads discussing this are very 2006xy

TIA!

2. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I tried to have auto headlights added to our 2007. I was told if MUST be factory installed. I do not know about DRL. I would imagine that if you can get DRL installed, maybe auto headlights would work also. I will follow this post. Keep us posted.

3. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I contacted about four dealers (Vancouver Canada) and none of them could do it. They didn't give a very thorough explanation, just said they dont have the parts (there's a thread in the main forum about this),

I can see where the light sensor for the auto light control system would go on the dash, but thats about all I know about it.

Tom6850, if the DRL is a bridge to the ALCS, wouldn't that cause problems for you because of your HID lights?

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 2 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]433993[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds to me like the Vancover BC dearlers have formed a pack to discourage anyone from buying Prius in US. Did you check with Washington dealers? They may have more incentive to get the word out that it is feasible.

I would like them on my Prius, and I live in WA, but way down at the Oregon side.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 2 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]433993[/snapback]</div>
    "parts" lol. right...

Canadian Tire is authorised to do the DRL mod for US imports by RIV. Give them a shot.

6. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ May 2 2007, 02:12 AM) [snapback]433783[/snapback]</div>
    Did you ever get the DTR installed? I have the same problem and would be interested in your solution? A suggestion to me was to leave your lights in the on position. When you turn your engine on the lights will come on and when your turn it off and open the driver's door to exit the lights will go out. You think this will pass?

Thanks

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius 07 @ Jun 7 2007, 03:00 AM) [snapback]457226[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know about Ontario but for BC, in order to pass the prov. inspection, the DRL cannot be turned off by the user (i.e. if there is a DRL OFF switch on the headlight stalk, that has to be disabled)

8. arbitrage

arbitrage short commuter

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, i got my dtrs.
    I dont think you can just leave your lights on (i didnt want to risk trying that at inspection).
    I went to a dealer - i got the crappy "always on at 100% intensity version" vs "always on at 76% (Canadian Prius dtr i think)".

Canadian Tire will do it also (100% intensity version).

I think on another dtr post I wrote this up already. I know I started 2 threads (in diff forum sections) regarding dtr.

Two packages you could try installing yourself are from:
    Webelectrics (side marker drl) or
    Hamsar (76% headlights ie. proper drl)
    No experience with them myself, but this is what i read on this forum.
    Do a search with terms: daytime / running / light - should give you a bunch or results.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Jun 6 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]456819[/snapback]</div>
    No, didnt check with the US dealers - from a post here (a US emigrating to Canada) it sounded like the US dealers cared/knew even less about drls.
    A google search turns up more ppl trying to disable drls than install drls.
    I figured, since the Canadian's had to have them, and might need repairs to them, the dealers here would know more. That turned out to be a bad assumption. The Canadian dealers/service know very little (the ones I talked to anyway), and yeah, probably don't like your spanking new car that cost several thou less than what they were after.

9. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(arbitrage @ Jun 7 2007, 03:57 PM) [snapback]457540[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for the reply. I put my finding with my original post:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...pid=459715&

10. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two