1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Auto Door Lock Mod Gone Bad

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ggood, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Help! Installed the Nav-bluetooth mod , no problem. Installed all taps for auto door lock mod and now can't get grey plug to stay in. I don't see any bent pins. Slides easily almost all the way in, but won't click. I've already damaged the tab trying to force it in. Any ideas? Also, can the car be driven? I'm blocking my other car. Yes I've sent an e-mail to Coastal support, but if anyone else has a miracle cure, I'd be most grateful.

Oh, and I just confirmed that the car won't drive without that plug all the way in... (yes I know the instructions warn against doing that). Boy is the dealer gonna give me a hard time if I can't find the problem myself!

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have to take it to the dealer let us know what they say and if they honor the warranty..

Man Im sorry to hear about the trouble, I was thinking of doing this mod when the warranty runs out on my 04'.. Has Costal replied back yet?

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, just to keep this updated, I tried to fix this again this morning in the daylight. I still don't see any bent pins, but may attempt to remove the dash frame piece to try to get a closer look. Can anyone point me to instructions for removing upper glove box and the glove box frame piece? Coastal isn't picking up the phone this morning, and I don't have an e-mail response to my queries yet. The good news is, I was able to maneuver my other car out of the garage (don't know why I parked the way I did!).

In response to the warranty question, if I intentionally do something that damages the car, I would not expect Toyota to fix the damage under warranty. However, if neither my installation of the part nor the operation of the part actually causes damage or contributes to an operational problem, the warranty is not void simply because of the presence of the part. Toyota would have to show a correlation.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Bummer. :(

That plug is a pain to put in. I ended up removing the little plastic piece the damper is attached to (it's held in with two screws) to make it easier.

5. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. I had the best luck with contacting Coastal by phone between 4-6pm EST. Everytime I got the answering machine, I hung up and called back. I would usually get though to a person on the 4th attempt.
    On a side note, does anyone know if this mod will work on an '06? I figured that the biggest difference with the '06 is the MFD having a digital video interface. But coastal doesn't offer the door lock mod for '06......maybe they just haven't tried one yet?

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=16233&hl talks about one in an '06. It seems that the doors lock immediately when you press Power.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Happy days are here again! My good news is that after some prying and prodding with a screwdriver, I managed to get the plug connected again. This must have been the tightest plug ever made. Maybe I should have tried vaseline! It still doesn’t look quite right, but everything is working again, including the nav-bluetooth kit and the auto lock kit.

FYI, after leaving a message on their answering machine today, I got a call back from Kelly, who then had Dave call me back. Lucky me, I was the first one to ever report this problem! They hardly ever get support calls about the auto lock kit. After going through the obvious things, like making sure nothing was broken on the plug or otherwise obstructing it, Dave was nice enough to go check his own car to see if there was an easy way to either remove the rest of the lower dash on just the passenger side (no) or to unbolt the computer for easier access (again, no).

By the way, this is old news to a lot of people, but Dave reminded me that the way to clear the error messages (caused by trying to start the car without the plug being connected) was to disconnect the ground wire on the regular battery. The manual states you should always disconnect the ground first and reconnect it last if exchanging batteries. It also gives good advice on what to do after a battery disconnect to get the hatch to open again, and get the auto-down and auto-up to work again on the driver's window.

Thanks to aaf709 for the tip on removing the glove box damper, and to Stepclimb for encouraging me to just keep calling, instead of relying on e-mail.

Now, do I still want to install my factory EV switch, or take the easy way out and get the Coastal EV kit?!!! Either way, after this fun experience, I'll have to do it sometime when my wife's not looking!