1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help- bluetooth problem 2006 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by icemanjrperu, Jul 13, 2006.

1. icemanjrperu

icemanjrperu New Member

Can anybody please guide me here? I have a 2006 prius I have been using with a TREO 700w since Janaury. The bluetooth convenience is great but over that numerouspeople have toold me I am cutting out. The problem is intermittent, but it happens on at least 5 converstaions a day. I always blamed it on Verizon, but lately I have taken to disabling the bluetooth on my Treo, and the callers tell me I sound 100% better, no questions.

My question is- is it possible the bluetooth radio in my phone or the car is causing the problem? Or is it just an inherent issue? I was thinking about buying a BT ear headset just to check it out, but I really don't want to go to that expense unless I have too.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
    2006 Silver
    Bedford, Texas (DFW)
    41.3 MPG/15,000 miles

2. haceaton

haceaton New Member

Maybe when you use bluetooth you leave the phone in a bad position for RF connection to the cell tower (e.g. maybe you've left it in your pocket next to keys, etc.

Presumably with bluetooth disabled you are holding the phone out in the air where it can catch a better signal.

At least that is one possible explanation. Maybe you could try placing the phone in the cup holder and see if it works any better with bluetooth.

3. icemanjrperu

icemanjrperu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(haceaton @ Jul 13 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]285992[/snapback]</div>

it's located in a holder next to the right center air vent, what I think would be an ideal location for reception

Thanks for the reply

Jim

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Very interesting. I have a 2005, using a Verizon e815 and it hasn't failed me yet. I keep the phone on my belt on the left side. Must be my commute has no dead areas.

5. steviescott

steviescott New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 13 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]286003[/snapback]</div>
    The BT handsfree phone device on the Toyota Prius is half duplex. That means can not use the microphone and speaker together. So it has to choose to listen to you on the mic or broadcast on the speaker. If you and the person you are talking to, both speak at the same time the Prius BT speakerphone will cut one of you out until the other finishes.

This is similiar to a walkie talkie. I know of no fix or upgrade available.

I think this may be the reason why you are cut out on some of your calls.