1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help! body damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by debos, Jun 16, 2009.

1. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    so my mom hit my car this morning while i was at her house as she back out of the driveway. she hit on the back quarter panel and door and the scratch goes down past the paint.

[​IMG]

i got 2 quotes, just cause i was curious and really wanted to make mom stress, for 1300 and 1600.
    anyway, im just gonna clean and polish it up for the time being. its not terribly bad, but it still drives me mad knowing theres a blemish on the car...so anyone who has any advice of suggestions on appropriate means of how i could go about cleaning it up would be appreciated...

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear that your car was damaged. BTW, it can be considered an act of fraud for you to provide inaccurate statements to your insurance agent.

It would be better for you to pay for the repairs out-of-pocket so that your insurance premiums would not be increased (or your coverage possibly revoked.)

3. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    not looking for moral advice, but because i know people on here tend to offer that more than a real world solutions, i edited my first post as to not get the lashing on ethics and insurance....

and as a diy enthusiast, is the best advice you have for me to pay someone else to do it? seems backwards, no?

4. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would get someone to do it. Paint is very difficult to DIY - professional paint shops have rooms that air fairly clean and low-dust. An ordinary garage is just begging to have dust fall on your paint, resulting in a crummy paint job.

I would do it myself if it was just a tiny ding or scratch, but anything that involves spraying a significant area should be left to a professional if you want it done right.

-->Adam

5. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    im gonna clean it up a bit and see what i can buff out....im not expecting a like new results, but something better than what it looks like as of now...ill post a picture with actual amount of area that lost paint....

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lying to your Insurance Company was not a good idea.

Plus you WANTED to stress your mother out? She should hit the other side of your car so it matches.

I'd look at the 1500-1600 dollars as payback to Mom for the pain of childbirth.

7. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i never actually lied to the insurance company. i gave them a scenario, yet never filed a claim. lets move on from that, yes?

its also apparent the forums breed more sarcasm and whit then they do any kind of useful advise. maybe this is why i hate it when people generalize me a "prius owner". cant i just be someone who "drives a prius." ..gosh.......

and moms been repaid 10 fold in accidents ive had using her car when i was growing up and footed the bill all the bills myself....

8. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually, if you wanted to, and you have it, you could file under UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED coverage, if the situation allows it.

You also don’t have to worry that your premium will go up if you make a unisured motorist claim; most states prohibit premium increases if the accident wasn’t your fault.

9. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guilt her into buying you a 2010, would work with me,

10. car2lvr

car2lvr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The picture doesn't shows dent. Try contacting your local auto airbrush touch up service. Most dealers use these guys and I also use them in the past with good results. Probably it will cost you about $300.

1 person likes this.
  11. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many dent repair shops will fix you up for a few hundred dollars (especially if paying cash). Body shops are going to do a great job, but they will repaint much more that really needs to be done.

12. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently had similar dents fixed on the two driver side doors plus the panel forward of the driver's door plus the panel aft of the driver's side rear door--dents knocked out and entire left side painted like new for $1500 at my local GM dealer. (no new parts needed)

13. hellzno

hellzno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A local bodyshop can bang out any dents and use filler to smooth it out.

A repaint is definitely necessary given that the paint is gone. Make sure that they "blend" the paint (paint more than just the damaged area). This makes sure that the damage will be harder to spot (as paint is impossible to match)!

I'd take the hit and pay a bodyshop out-of-pocket. If you report it to insurance (which is an option), there's a chance that the otherwise clean record on your car will vanish (i.e. car fax, etc.). On any carfax (carproof, etc.) report, it will show that a claim has been made on your car. This obviously hurts your resale value (because its no longer a clean record).

For damage like that, it'll probably run $3-400 at a reputable bodyshop (cash of course). I'd ask friends or even Toyota for a bodyshop that they recommend. Pay cash to avoid taxes ;).