1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Brakes on new Prius making squeak!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dipena, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Somebody hold me, please. I bought my 08 in April and have 3680 miles on it. This morning I noticed that my brakes are making a small squeaking sound when I apply them.

I drive my car gently and lovingly like the princess that she is, and I can't imagine what could have led to this? Has anyone else had this on a new Prius? Should I just call the dealer and whine to them instead of to you?

Thanks!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Squeaking brakes are fairly common. The Prius uses the friction brakes very lightly, so they tend to get dirty and rusty. This makes them squeak and grind when you come to a stop. You will only hear this noise while braking at under 8 mph, when the friction brakes come into play.

You can easily clean the brakes by forcing the Prius to use them at higher speeds. On a clear stretch of road without any following cars, shift the Prius into N and apply the brakes. While in N the Prius cannot use regenerative braking, so it will have to apply the friction brakes. Slow down like this a couple of times from 40 mph and your squeaking should go away.

Tom

3. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks, Tom. So, do you think I should give this a try before I call the dealer? I will have to find somewhere I can drive freely without some a$$hole tailgating me, which is increasingly difficult these days.

Do I have to apply the brakes to a full stop, or will gentle braking do the trick?

At 3680 miles, I doubt my brakes are rusty. Is it possible for them to get that dirty in such a short time? I haven't driven anyplace very exotic, but some of the roads in my rural exurb are kind of crappy.

Thanks for your help...
    Dianne

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dianne,

You can easily see the front discs if you look through the front wheels. If the surfaces show any rust, then Tom's procedure should work well to remove the rust. The idea is to gently apply the brakes when in N, to remove the rust and any other dirt on the discs. It is not necessary to come to a stop; speed up and slow down repeatedly, until the squeak goes away.

When I wash my Prius, I spray water into the front wheels to remove brake pad dust. Then I take the car for a short drive and shift into N, just as Tom indicated, to dry off the front discs and pads.

Good luck.

5. jdchappie

jdchappie JD on RR2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hello Dianne,
    One more thought from the dirt road driver. About once a week my front brakes will make a horrid squeak because a tiny rock or something got between my brake pads and rotor. I simply put it in reverse and back up a few feet. Usually the offending item is ejected when I hit the brakes. Sometimes it takes more than once, but it does clear the pads and stop the noise. Same thing happened with my Jeep. Jerry

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My brakes can get rusty overnight, so your mileage is not an issue.

No, you do not need to brake to a full stop. Just brake for a bit, whatever is convenient for you. If they are still noisy, try it again.

Tom

7. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks you guys. I tried your suggestion regarding the braking in neutral and I think it worked, because this morning--no squeak! Thanks again.