1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help--buying my first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Suarez, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bob Suarez

Bob Suarez New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm a newbie here and I haven't purchased a car in over twelve years. I've been reading a lot of the threads and was impressed by the general knowledge of some members regarding all things Prius. Now i'm in the market for a car and hoped to get some help with making a decision.

I'm looking at a Toyota certified used 2008 Prius. Looks like a package 2 w/vehicle stability control, navigation system. It has 51,561 miles on the odometer, and has never been in an accident. The dealer is asking $16,388. Do you think this is a good deal?

Thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to kbb.com, trade-in value for that car in excellent condition would be $14.5K while private party value would be $16.1K and dealer suggested retail would be $18.0K. Therefore a price of $16.4K from your local Toyota dealer including a certification extended warranty sounds good.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    kbb is often way optimistic compared to the actual market. The only way to know is to shop.
    Currently, new car prices are low and have a fair amount of regional differences.

OP: this forum has a private sales sub-forum, and threads have been posted of people trying to gauge what the market will bear. Search is your friend when it works.