1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: can't remove "MAINT REQD" oil light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusunum, Oct 6, 2010.

1. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've read several threads on this question, but I have a new wrinkle:
    This light started coming on only yesterday, right after I finished installing the elearnaid replacement Optima battery. It now happens every time I start the car, along with all the other lights that normally come on, and disappearing after a few seconds, like the other dash lights that are supposed to come on when you start the car.

I did have to replace my radio presets, the time on the clock, and once again remove the reverse beep, which I did with no difficulty, but this "MAINT REQD" light still comes on.

This light should not come on since I had the oil changed last month and until yesterday's 12v Optima replacement, the light indeed did not come on.

I tried two fixes, which did not work: 1. the one given in my 2006 owner's manual, on p.130, and 2.the one given on 10-05-2009 by "Mr. Bill" in his thread called "HOWTO; Resetting the Oil Maintenance Required Indicator".

Has this happened to anyone else who replaced a 12v battery? Any suggestions on how to get rid of this light?
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, when you tried #2, did you have your foot on the brake?
    Did you continue to hold the ODO button until the dashes blinked down to gone, then it popped up to the usual odo reading?
    The light comes on after a set number of miles - i.e., 5000 - and is not dependent upon when your last oil change was. Did you get your oil changed away from the 5K increment?

Try the fix again, but be sure you have the odometer showing standard (not trip A or B), hold the brake, hold the ODO button, press the power, and keep holding the ODO until the blinking odo display returns to normal.

3. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the procedure I have used successfully:

TO RESET OIL CHANGE REMINDER:

1. Operate ODO/Trip button to display odometer reading.

2. Operate the POWER switch to the OFF position.

3. Depress and hold down the ODO/Trip button.

4. Press the POWER switch twice (with foot off brake) to select the IG-ON mode. After about five seconds, the odometer display should show 000000 and the warning light should extinguish.

5. Release the ODO/Trip button and operate POWER switch to OFF position.

4. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Redrock and Rae Vynn for responding. I tried your suggestions but they don't work for me: I still get the "Maint Reqd" light for a few seconds every time I start the car.

Until I replaced my 12v battery, I never had this happen and as I said in my original post, I had the oil changed last month. I think I'll just leave it alone for now. It is not a big annoyance unless it progresses to stage 2. My next regular time to change the oil is next March. I don't drive all that much, about 3 or 4 thousand miles a year.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had you been successful in resetting the MAINT REQD light in the past?

If this is the first time that you are doing this, then please note step #3 in post #3 above. You need to hold down the ODO/Trip button continuously, while you are doing step #4. IG-ON mode is where all instrument panel warning lights are on.

If you are experienced in resetting the MAINT REQD light and are only now having a problem, then it sounds like your combination meter is being weird.

6. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another dumb question - is the maintenance required light only related to oil changes? Or is it to alert to other PM issues?

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It comes on 5K miles from the last reset. As for "other PM" issues, see your maintanence booklet for what is recommended at each interval.

8. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So... to reiterate, does the "MAINT REQD" light come on for any other reasons other than to alert the driver that an oil change is overdue?

9. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just a reminder to change the oil at 5000 miles. That's all it does.

10. rogart1

rogart1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Note :
    He said "Maint Reqd light for a few seconds every time I start the car."

This is a normal occurace with both my cars. The light goes out after a few seconds.

It's when it stays lit that it really counts .

Regards

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep, but at certain intervals (at 5K mile multiples but longer than 5K miles apart), the maintenance booklet calls for other work beyond oil changes.

12. volvoswede

volvoswede Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    evidently if you have Nav, the reset involves more steps which I'm still trying to find

13. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I have the 2009 NAVI also so please post soonest.

Thanks,

14. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Reminder Light ​
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    After 4,500 miles (7,250 km), an indicator light will flash for 12 seconds after starting, then it will turn off.
    After 5,000 miles (8,000 km), an indicator light will flash for 12 seconds after starting, then it will change to a steady glow and remain on.
    If you change the oil (and filter) yourself, here's how to reset the light so it will stay off until the next change is interval has expired: ​
    1) With the power on, switch to the odometer/trip-meter to display "ODO".
    2) Power OFF (push the "Power" button).
    3) Power ON, while holding the button for "ODO".
    4) Wait for the reminder light to stop flashing, then release. While the reset is taking place, you'll see the odometer value change to 5 dashes. Then each will be disappear, one at a time from the left. When finished, 7 zeroes will briefly appear, indicating the process is complete before the previous odometer mileage returns.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

15. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That worked for me. Be sure to look at the ODO display behind the clear plastic display while you do this. Don't get distracted by the girls walking by your window!

16. David Kraus

David Kraus New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Our family owns 3 Prius Vs, 2 are 2012 a trim 3 and trim 5, and 1 is a 2013 trim 5 so it is easy to compare any issues. On the 2013 the Maint Reqd light cannot be reset. The Toyota dealership says it needs a new instrument cluster/combination meter for well over $1000 installed. Does anyone know additional ways to reset this beyond the standard procedures from the manual and posted many places online?
    Thanks

17. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I still get the "Maint Reqd" light for a few seconds every time I start the car.

Why does anyone think this is a problem???

It's merely the car making sure the lamp works. I'd be more worried if it didn't turn on for a few seconds during startup. Otherwise, how the heck do you know if it works? Suddenly realize you have 18000 miles with no oil change because the engine seized?

Remember, it's an idiot light. Guaranteed that if it didn't work, someone would sue Toyota because it didn't do a self test at startup, and they ran the car low on oil and it will get blamed on the lamp not lighting up.

srellim234 likes this.
  18. Hcaul

Hcaul New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reviving an old thread to see if a solution was found. I have the same issue and it's not the simple resetting solution.