1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help!!! Car dead after dealer service 2 days ago

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bedgehog, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Bedgehog

Bedgehog New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I had my 2014 Prius with 83,750 miles in for an oil change on Friday 2/23. While there, dealer suggested new spark plugs to which I agreed. I drove the car home less than 5 miles and parked it about 4:30pm on Friday. I did not use it at all yesterday and this morning @ 8:30am I went to move it and it is completely dead. The car had been totally fine with zero issues before I took it to the dealer. Can anyone think of what might have gone wrong? I will be calling the service manager first thing tomorrow and hoping they agree to come and tow it in at their expense. They had marked the battery as good and I have had zero starting issues. Tried jumping the car with both a Black & Decker jumper and later my neighbor's car and nothing got it to start. I did get some of the display lights to view and the clock was oddly correct when I used the Black & Decker. With the hood open, I can hear a sound with the car off - sounds like it is near the fuse box and sounds a bit like a "pumping" sound. Any thoughts about what could have gone wrong? Many thanks!!!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you jump starting it with the jump points under the hood? How old is your 12v battery? Just because they marked it "good", doesn't really mean they even looked at it. They could've easily just check off anything they didn't bother to look at. If your battery is more than 5 years old, then it may be main culprit as you did drive the car home without issue.

If the dealership is not very honest, they would let your battery drain while they work on your car, then you'll need to spend more money with them.

#2 JC91006, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With that low mileage sounds like you're on the original battery and that's definitely a no no at this point You're pushing 7 years or something. So this car is hardly driven it seems like which is also not very good for a Prius Prius does not like sitting none of them

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the voltage of the 12 volt, right at the posts, and post (sorry for the pun) the reading.

5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What could have gone wrong? Sparks plugs are to be changed at 120,000mi. Looks like you got wallet flushed and stuck with the same plugs.

Danno5060 likes this.