1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Car died after battery replacement. Dealer now claiming "out of gas"!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tarawow, Feb 20, 2014.

1. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

The hybrid battery on my 05 Prius died last Thursday. Took it to dealer, they pulled the code, and wound up replacing it for free, as it was still under warranty (yay!).

Cut to today, 2 days after getting the car back. I left my house with the gas gauge on 2 pips. Car died while on the highway 15 miles later (had trouble accelerating, warning lights came on, the car slowed and I was unable to accelerate). I pulled it over and had it towed back to the dealer, assuming that there was some error due to the recently replaced battery. (note: this is not the first time I've had to had it towed to the dealer after their first attempt at servicing it.)

The service agent just came out and told me my problem was that the car ran out of gas! I am floored - not only have I never let that happen before, but it wasn't even on my radar. There was no warning and I had only gone 331 miles on this tank! Not that I do it a lot, but my car has always given me the flashing indicator and beep when I'm low, and I still manage to get 40 miles out of it before refueling. I am flabbergasted.

I'm presently at the dealer - is there any way to see if he's telling me the truth or pulling my leg? Is there a way to confirm that there really is low gas? Are there codes that show up specifically indicating low fuel? This dealer has tried to sell me on a cleaning the MAF sensor and other services before, so I don't have a high level of trust here. This could well have been me, but I'd like to really make sure they are not trying to hose me first before I accept responsibility for this.

Have done some tooling around the forums on this, but couldn't seem to find any answers addressing this specifically (engine trouble after battery replacement) and time is of the essence! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks - Tara

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ask what the codes are. If they say P3193, then the Prius did set a out of gas DTC

You are not the first to run out of gas in a Prius. It happens...

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3193 indicates an out of fuel situation.

4. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks both for the codes!

I do realize there's a chance the car could have been out of gas, but I'm suspicious since it's been less than 48 hours since the new battery was installed and the usual low fuel indicator didn't kick in, trip mileage was low, etc.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let's see how many gallons of fuel you can pump into the Prius.

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you ask for the codes? If so, did they tell you what they were? Any chance of posting them here?

8. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't gotten the codes yet (my guy has disappeared into the back) but will post as soon as I get them.

9. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The code they pulled is P3190 - which they wrote up as "poor engine power code due to vehicle being out of gas" on the service statement. About to go add more fuel (they only put in 2 gallons). Will let you know how much I can get in there!

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3190 means poor engine power and might be caused by an out-of-fuel situation. It also might be caused by other factors.

I suggest that you keep the fuel tank at 3 bars or higher for a while, to see whether the problem recurs.

11. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got done at the pump. Added 5.615 gallons to the dealer's 2 to bring it to 7.615 gallons. Indicator is now full. Am going to keep an eye on it and refuel as you suggested Patrick around 3 bars or 300 miles, whichever I hit first.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps you're having bladder issues...

13. Robo

Robo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's all under warranty, I would get whatever they suggest, the maf sensor always needs a good cleaning if it hasn't had one. Purchase a code reader at the shop on this site, I did and it works great.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All that stuff is long out of factory warranty. Don't confuse traction battery and emissions warranties with everything-else warranties.

15. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (tangent) - I actually followed Hobbit's MAF sensor cleaning guide after this same dealer suggested to me at 35K and again at 55K that I needed it (there was no indicator light for it, no noticeable change in mileage, etc). I cleaned that and the throttle body (so well I could eat off the latter - not a speck of carbon on it!), and the next time I serviced it they STILL told me both needed cleaning. When I pressed the service agent on it, he said "well, that's just what the mechanics said when they looked at - I haven't seen it". I showed him HD pictures of the cleaned sensor and throttle body, and he didn't know what to say. Once I hit 90K, I started taking my car to an independent shop for servicing, and until now haven't looked back. And this is the best dealer of the bunch I've found in the LA area.

Car is long out of warranty on anything other than battery. Going on 8 years and 4 months, and just hit 120,900 miles.

usnavystgc and Patrick Wong like this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting. How many gallons would you normally expect to pump when the fuel gauge reads 2 bars and you've driven 331 miles?

What did the dealer charge you for this service call, and which dealer is this?

Since it looks like you might be interested, here is the full list of issues that might cause P3190:

Air induction system
    Throttle body
    Fuel pressure
    Engine
    Mass Air flow meter
    Out of fuel
    Engine coolant temperature sensor
    Crankshaft position sensor
    Camshaft position sensor
    ECM

If this issue were to repeat and your fuel tank contains sufficient fuel, I would suggest that the fuel line pressure should be checked. Maybe the circuit opening relay which provides DC power to the fuel pump is bad, or the fuel pump is bad. The pressure should be > 43 psi.

tarawow likes this.
  17. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say it typically takes between 7 and 8 gallons at 2 bars, so I feel it's still pretty likely there was a nice reserve of 4 gallons give or take in there when it died. If the car had really been empty when I brought it to the dealer, I would have expected it to take closer to 10 gallons of fuel, not 7.6, no?

Thanks for the full list. Am hoping this was just a one off problem and won't recur, but will be keeping my fingers crossed. I'm just suspicious of getting a code so soon after having the big battery replaced, and this comes only a month after getting my car serviced at 120K!

This is Marina Del Rey Toyota here in SoCal. They only charged me for the gas (<$8), probably because I probably had a wild look in my eye (or maybe a book tracking my car's mileage and gas history in my hand).

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I agree that it does not sound like your car actually ran out of fuel especially since P3193 was not logged by the engine ECU. If you want to be proactive, you might ask your regular mechanic to check the fuel rail pressure now, rather than wait for another failure.

Also notice that the throttle body and MAF sensor are listed as possible causes, so I suggest you look at those parts and make sure they remain as clean as you had described them to be at 55K miles. While looking around there, make sure that the engine air filter is reasonably clean (when you hold the filter up to the sun, you should be able to see light coming through the paper filter element.)

Have the iridium spark plugs been changed? The normal service interval is at 120K miles.

tarawow likes this.
  19. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Who is this girl??? I think I'm in love. :)

tarawow likes this.
  20. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    probably a 65 year old guy.