1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! Car wrecked by deer near Cincinnati OH, need hybrid repaid shop recommendations.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by doublesman, Nov 17, 2011.

1. doublesman

doublesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My brand new Prius was in a collision head on with a 200 lb buck !:( It is near Cincinnati OH . I am from Canada and have no idea about that city, I was just passing through . Would anyone have repair shop recommendations , the car would need body work but the hood was partially ripped off and the car lost power on impact . It would need someone who knows about hybrids. I beleive that in the end since the deer is soft and the body took most of the impact that the damage under the hood would be minimal ..maybe a cracked radiator and some cables torn off the battery , or maybe even some cells but I really don't know anything about cars .

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you called your insurance? What do they say about where to take it?

Let's see some pictures. It is not clear why you would have lost power, that usually does not happen unless airbags deploy.

First of all, the 12V and hybrid batteries are in the trunk. They have not been harmed.

What is possible is some harm to HV connectors to the transaxle and A/C compressor. If your radiator is cracked, you will need a new A/C condenser as well. All this points to using a body shop associated with a dealership.

1 person likes this.
  3. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd call Steve at Autobeyours 861 South Gardner St. Scottsburg Indiana 47170
    phone 812-752-5050 he's not too far from where your at with your car..

4. doublesman

doublesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes ! it is great that the batteries wasn't harmed :) maybe it can be repaired after all ...

My insurance company is still trying to get an appraisal done however they told me that if it is economical for them to repair that I can choose where I want the work done.

The driver side airbag did deploy on impact with the deer on the interstate. The glass wasn't damaged, the deer managed to fall to the side/or cleared over the car due to the makeshift ramp that was created by the hood. The driver side mirror was taken out as well.

I think the design and safety features of the Prius probably saved my life. I did not have time to apply brakes.

5. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, that's quite a bit more serious that I had imagined. I am glad hear that you are okay.

Since the airbag deployed, your car may be a total loss. You are looking at new hood, fender, probably apron and radiator support, radiator, condenser, mirror, paint, airbag, airbag computer, paint, etc. etc.

1 person likes this.
  6. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had a run in with a large dog in my 2007 Prius. The repairs to the car were over $5,000. Body shop did good job, car is like new again. Dealer, not such a good job. Gave me back the car with no engine coolant in it. I drove about 12 miles that way, round trip, cause I went right back to the dealer, and they "topped it off". Yeah, right, there was none in there to top off they filled it up. HUGE difference!
    Anyway, good luck!

7. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did the deer do?

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully everything is okay. But if you were given the vehicle back with little or no engine coolant in it? Then I wouldn't of accepted "We just topped it off" as an answer. You should have some paper trail that THEY (The Dealership) made a mistake and gave your vehicle back to you with no coolant. If you now start to have problems? There is a big difference between "We just topped off" the engine coolant...and "We gave your vehicle back to you, in a condition where it shouldn't of been driven, you unknowingly drove it 12 Miles, then you brought it back and we covered our butts".

But hopefully you dodged a bullet. But really? If the coolant was non-existent, then the dealership should of just been honest about their mistake. Their mistake? They are liable.

9. doublesman

doublesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well there was a mysterious hole in the hood, that was answered on seeing the deer (the cop went for a look) , one antler completely broke off from the deer. The cop took his hat off and was a bit shaken up, he said it was pretty gruesome what happened, and I would think he has seen this before. Anyway he said the deer smashed headfirst into the median barrier.

I will give more details on the outcome of this, but I really hope it isn't written off ... I liked that car .. I only had it for a day .

10. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Steve Oberbeck's Garage does hybrid repairs. About 15 years ago, I took my old car to them for maintenance, until they decided to concentrate on the body shop business. Now they are back doing repairs. I don't know if they still do collision repairs.
    They are at overbeckauto .com

1 person likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about what happened to your new car, but at least you're ok.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Things must work a little differently up in the frozen North.

The way I see it is that, depending on the terms of your policy, you're covered for the actual cash value of your nearly new G3, minus the deductible.
    Sidebar for Americans, and maybe others as well: Always carry the highest deductible that you're permitted to by your lender, if you borrow for the car. I carry a thou on all of my vehicles. Your rates will be lower, and you should always have an emergency fund with a comma in it.

OK....back on topic.

1. You're covered for "X" (some notional value for your car)
    2. The deer caused "Y" in damages, as assessed by your appraisor, who works for the insurance company, by the way. (hint, hint!)

Shouldn't the ammount that your insurance company's exposure (the amount that they should pay you for this incident) be a simple matter of the difference between the two????
    Why should your insurance company have any rudder input as to whether or not you get your car repaired at "Smiling Bob's Hybrid Repair Emporium" or maybe (juuuuust maybe!) an actual Toyota Dealership??
    Opinions and experiences vary, but if it were me I'd probably lean towards getting a new car repaired by a dealership, since you're at least somewhat guaranteed to have the repair parts be new, OEM pieces/parts. There are high quality third-party collision repair shops to be sure, and you can usually get a lifetime guarantee for repairs done by the more reputable of these.

Just some thoughts.
    I'm glad that it appears that you were not seriously injured in the crash.

Good Luck!!!!

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Only through online research when buying, I've read Joseph Toyota near Cincinnati is definitely to be avoided.
    Best wishes with everything.

14. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    X, Y... you forgot Z = Y/X, which is the total loss threshold for the insurer. This ratio can be as low as 50%.

Bob's Hybrid Emporium may come into play if it means the difference between having a car or walking away being out the amount of the deductible. Even worse is the prospect of getting a repair in the US and then going back to Toronto. What happens is there is an issue that pops up later, such as A/C that doesn't work? It's a tough call.

15. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It depends on the insurer, though I think the threshold is typically a bit higher.

However, the potential for supplement-- lots of them-- is quite likely for any Prius with front-end damage. Therefore, I would not be surprised if the adjuster totals the vehicle in fear of many expensive supplements once the repair is started.

16. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad you are alright, cars can be repaired. Hope the buck had a quick death.

Let us know how everything turned out. I am in Cincinnati right now, but don't know of any repair shops.

17. doublesman

doublesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

The car was written off. The insurance company cut me a cheque last Thursday, and I bought a replacement Prius yesterday(from the same lucky dealer since he cut me a deal out of sympathy I guess) . This time I am having the car shipped to Niagara Falls, NY.

18. IowaGuy

IowaGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad your ok and got a new ride. This is why people are warned that deer drafting for mpgs is a risky hyper mileing trick.