1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! coilover locking rings stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by BigBear2010, Jan 11, 2015.

1. BigBear2010

BigBear2010 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I try to raise my car, but the rear locking string stuck. I can't get them move. I try turn the small ring counter clockwise and clockwise for the bigger ring as the same way I did for rear right, but it doesn't work on the left side. This is Megan racing coilover. I also used liquid wrench but no luck. Please help me!

Attached Files:

2. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    I had Eibach coilover on my Honda. After 6 years or so I can't adjust the ride. It drop all the way down. Learn my lesson on getting future coilover. Looking at your picture you might be screwed of the thread. Maybe a member here got the answer.

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try soaking with PB blaster. That stuff is miracle juice in getting things unstuck.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are the rings of a dissimilar metal from the external thread they go on?

Again this is a lesson for those who are advocates against "rustproofing." and application of rustproofing or LPS 3 would have likely kept this from happening.

This happens all the time to parts that are "broken" by mechanics and are replaced at the owner's expense for both the part and the labor to remove and replace them.

PB Blaster, KROIL or any of the penetrating oils might work.

Heat is the next option, but you mail "boil" the oil.

If you apply too much force to a pin spanner, all you'd do is to deform the pin's hole.

The best solution for even the most stubborn locknut is a split collar with a threaded hole and pin to insert into the lock nut's pin recesses. This requires a mill and other machinery to make a custom one.

Then, you can use a copper or grass hammer to knock the collar back and forth to loosen the corrosion on the lock nuts.

If you can buy new lock nuts, a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutter can be sued to cut a slot into the lock nut to relieve the pressure caused by the corrosion, which expands to lock the components in place.

These are the steps that I would take and in that order.

frodoz737 likes this.