1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: Dead battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kaufmans5, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kaufmans5

kaufmans5 Junior Member

We returned from a one week vacation today and my husband's 2006 Prius will not start. Actually nothing lights up on the dash at all. Neither key fob gets a reaction from the car. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but after reading through the manual and everything I could find on this forum about the 12v battery, I'm guessing he has a dead battery? Does that sound right? Any other ideas?
    If his battery is dead, can we use the 12v battery on my Prius to jump his Prius? The manual says only use a 12v battery to jump start. The only other vehicle ready at hand is a 99 Sienna.
    Thanks.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most likely you have a dead 12V battery, and yes, you can jump one Prius from another. The procedure is well documented in the manual. There is a jump point in the fuse box under the hood, so there is no need to get into the hatch and reach the physical battery location.

Most likely a light was left on or a door or hatch was left ajar. I always lock my Prius, just to make sure all the doors are properly shut. It beeps to complain if they are not.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto the always-lock-it advice.

12V batteries are standard. You can use any car to jump start a Prius (well, maybe not a Trabant or a 40-year-old Citroen, but most cars). Come to think, it might be especially easy to jump it with another Prius because then you can be very sure that you have the polarity correct, because the connections for each cable will be identical at both ends.

And not to scare you unduly but be *very careful* to get the polarity correct! Getting it backwards can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to any modern car, especially a Prius as it has more computers than most. Follow the procedure in the owner's manual.

4. kaufmans5

kaufmans5 Junior Member

Thanks for the help. We successfully jump started the car (using the Sienna). We also discovered that our son had left the dome light on, which would explain the drained battery. We used the car to run a bunch of errands after we started it, so hopefully the 12v is recharged and the car will start again in the morning. I appreciate the advice. Son has been chewed out re the dome light!!!