1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!! Dealer Charging $8,000 to Replace Display Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SMSCUBA, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SMSCUBA

SMSCUBA New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The display screen on my '07 Prius (14K Miles) has been wonky for months. There has been a spot at the top of the screen that sproadically won't engage when pressed and now the entire center of the screen doesn't work. This weekend I took my car to the local dealership and was told that there is a hairline crack in the screen that won't be covered under the warranty. I was told that it will coast $8,000 to fix it! I'm freaking out!!

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what might have caused the crack and can't think of anything. Aside from my girly fingernails, nothing has touched the screen. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is it realistic for the dealer to charge $8,000 to replace the screen? Can anyone recommend a great mechanic in teh Los Angeles area who can fix it for less?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $8000 is outrageous and I'd ask to speak directly to the service manager and tell him/her you don't appreciate being scammed.
    At most this should be about $2000, and a refurb should be even less.
    Better yet, find a '06+ Prius in a salvage yard and buy the multi-display screen from them and have it installed either by a dealer or you can even find information online here to do it yourself easily.

Further, contact Toyota and let them know what the problem is and that you feel this may be a manufacturing defect and not something that you did, they may be able to intervene and get you a free or less expensive replacement. In any case they should hear about a dealer gouging you for $8000.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Toyota refurbished MFD should be around $750-$800 plus installation. Maybe your dealer got the decimal point in the wrong location.

4. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $8000 is absolutely insane. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I was that writer.

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would be making a phone call to the Toyota regional representative ASAP. They need to know that this is going on! Not to mention that this should be a warranty repair unless they can prove that you damaged it, and the rep can probably help you with that, too.