1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help...Dealer Recieved a IV instead of a V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ScarGo, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ScarGo

ScarGo Common Sense Conservative

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK the dealer tells me my car will be in on the 15th of June two week ago. I drive through his lot on Sunday the 14th and see 4 Prius have been delivered. One is everything I ordered except it is a package 4 instead of a 5. So I'm thinking my car isn't in yet.

Cut to this morning at 9:30 when my happy salesman calls me and says, "your car is here". I say thats great but that Blizzard Pearl whith drark gray interior and Nav outback is a Package IV not a V as I ordered. He said there must be some mistake at the distributor leval and whould get back whith me.

Ok to cut to the point: Do you you think the dealer imput the wrong order? I did not get a printout of the vin when the was assigned to the dealer 3 weeks ago. :confused:

2. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    eww. That sounds interesting. I am anxious to find out what happens. Keep us in the loop!

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dealers don't input orders. They get assigned cars, and can request certain configurations (called preferencing). I seriously doubt Toyota sent them the wrong car (although anything is possible)--either the sales guy seriously screwed up (the report clearly says what model the car is), or hoped you'd settle for a different model once it arrived. For future reference, ask the dealer for the vehicle inquiry report--you can confirm it's what you want.

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think he lied to you and I don't think the region messed up, I'd say he just didn't tell you all he knew. I've been working with my dealer to get a V and he simply could not match up his allocation with one like I wanted. He was able, working through the region, to get a IV with Nav and in my color. That's as close as he could get in any reasonable time and I accepted it. I was given a choice and plenty of time to think about it as it's just being taken off the ship this morning. He knew about a week ago that the IV was all he could get.

He did admit to me that the calls he made and the efforts to get the V irritated the region somewhat and he wouldn't have done that for anyone else. I believe him on that. Most dealers really know their limits with the region and matching up and I don't think they will go to a lot of effort, especially when they know the probable outcome.

You just need to decide if you're OK with the IV. On the Andromeda Leader load, in my area there seem to be very few V's to be delivered and I'm guessing the ones that are were ordered by large dealers long ago.

It's unfortunate though since I do see some dealers with uncommitted V's on the lot here on PC. I'm guessing since you don't actually order from the factory but rather the regional group matches up allocations with the supply, that the dealers may "lie" about sold cars and floor cars. They ask for what they want and the region can't really tell if a car is truly sold to a customer or just being delivered to a dealer. I may be wrong, but it makes no sense not to send me a "sold" V when dealers in the area get a V that is not sold.

2 people like this.
  5. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, any dealership and any salesperson will always try to sell you a car today (any car) rather than risk losing a sale. Remember, the saleperson is not your friend, he/she is trained to make sales in order to make money and stay employed. In this case, the salesman is pushing a IV and hopes that ScarGo will buy it before finding the desired V at another dealership first. And (this should come at no surprise) they seem to always have a story to tell. That's just the way most of them work.

If one really wants a particular model, hold out for it and feel free to look around. ScarGo may even find that his V is scheduled to come in next month, despite what his dealer's story may be today. The salesman may just be trying to meet his June quota.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are plenty of sales people who read through these threads. Perhaps they can see Vs coming in either to their regions or their dealerships. One just may post here or send you a PM.

Another option is to start a new thread: "Does Any Dealer Know of an Inbound Uncommitted V?" You'll have plenty of viewers!

Let's hope your sales person just made a mistake on entry. If you didn't order the AT Package or the Solar Roof, the IV and V would look pretty similar: 1227 vs. 1229 on the sheet. The way some people write their 7s and 9s, it is possible the request was mis-read!

7. av8harrier

av8harrier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ditto here. I have been on a waiting list with my dealer since Jan 31st. I had been clear many times saying I wanted a Prius V.

Week ago Saturday they call saying they have a match in their allocation off of Pyxis Leader. Last Tuesday I call to confirm the price and when given a cost lower than expected I start asking questions. You got it, exact color, right options, but a IV not a V.

Had I not gotten curious I would have been in the same boat and just as frustrated the day of delivery.

The dealer had no other V's coming in any time soon so I went on the hunt and located another dealer who showed me the paperwork up front this time confirming the car description as a V coming in on Overseas Joyce next week.

8. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are pkg V's in white like you want in New Mexico. American Toyota(87113) has 2 plus other colors. It seems to be where the Sandy Beach IV's with Solar are too. White and Sand, now why would anyone in the SW want those colors?

9. ScarGo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update. The dealer must have screwed up. The blizzard pearl IV was ordered by the dealer and they ordered the wrong one.

So they are trading with the region for a Barcelona Red V with nav. They are not charging me for port installed remote start ($ 529.00) or rear bumper applique.

So not a bad deal and red is my second color choice. :)

10. av8harrier

av8harrier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My hat's off to your dealer. My now x dealer just blew me off and said standby for another month or more that trading was not possible because of the high demand.:mad:

11. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that dealer is a keeper and you can tell them we said so.

12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thankfully you got to upgrade to the BEST color out there!!!
    :car:

13. ScarGo

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, this was a secret plan between me and the Salesman, my wife picked the Blizzard Pearl. ;) :D

14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With a little patience I'm all smiles again. My IV will now become a V again in my dealers next allocation. Worth the week or two wait!