1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Emergency Brake left on for 30 miles, and warning lights on!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveLev, Jul 3, 2008.

1. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HELP!
    My wife and kids are on a road trip from Los Angeles to Seattle. They stopped for gas in Portland, but when she left, she left the parking brake on and drove for about 30 miles before 3 warning lights came on - take to dealer immediately, engine warning, etc (don't know specifics).

She stopped the car, shut everything off, looked at/sniffed the brakes, and doesn't notice any problems.

She called a dealer in Portland, who recommended she limp it back to them on the side of the freeway with hazards on.

She fired up the car, and only one light - check engine? - stays on. She is driving it to the dealer right now.

Using the 'information' view on the display, it shows that her gas (ICE) engine is firing up, as it should, and everything else looks, sounds, and works like it should.

What do YOU guys think, good or bad, about this? Please post responses...and be kind.

My wife and kids are trying to make it to a family reunion in Seattle in the next 3 hours, so I'd appreciate quick responses.

No jokes needed about leaving the parking brake on, please...that's oblivious and doesn't fix the situation.

2. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wife is at dealership; they're checking the brakes to see what happened.
    The lights came on were "check engine", the red triangle with exclimation point, red check brakes, and the VSC light.
    After she shut it down and let it cool for 10 minutes, when she started it back up, the check light was on right away. Within minutes, the original lights came back on - the VSC light and the (!) take to dealer light.

She is in Salem, in the waiting room, looking for cartoons for the kids to watch.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My guess is most of the warnings were triggered by the unusual situation. They will reset them, check the rear brake shoes for excess wear, and she will be on her way. It's pretty hard for the e-brake to "damage" anything else, unless they catch fire. It's rear only, BTW.

4. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Brake pads and maybe even the drums might be in need of servicing.

5. wsmac

wsmac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't say much about what this might do to a Prius, but I did this many years ago to a company van.
    I drove with the e-brake on from Las Cruces, NM to El Paso, TX, the whole trip being probably 40 miles? (can't remember the exact mileage between the two... 35+ miles?).

While it did smell, and the wheels were hot to the touch, I apparently caused no major damage to the system/vehicle itself.

Hopefully your car will be alright without needing major servicing.

I would think it might matter how tight she had the brakes applied, not to mention time and speed.

What else could go wrong in this scenario other than heat buildup and wear to the rotor and pads?
    Since it is the mechanical side of the brakes... could the heat from that reach the brake fluid in the hydraulic system?

I have to say... I'm glad your family is alright... meaning, I'm glad nothing happened on the drive other than the warning system reacting.

6. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Emergency brake was on for 17 miles. She was going about 75 MPH.

She is at Capital Toyota of Salem. The Service Manager is out to lunch. The car is in the queue to be seen. They are closed tomorrow. "We'll get you in as soon as we can - we're slammed right now with people trying to get their cars worked on before the 3 day holiday".

The kids are being good, knock on wood.

The man at the counter in the service department - not a manager - assured me that they have no less than 5 prius-certified master mechanics. I think this means they are ASC certified, and probably took a prius class to learn about them. I am nervous that once they get it up on a lift - whenever that happens - they will not know what to do with the codes.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Three hours from Salem OR to Seattle WA? Won't happen. Sorry. :(

Not to say the obvious that she shouldn't have left the brake on . . . but this is a good example of why NOT to put the brake on in the first place. For safety reasons, building codes EVERYWHERE in the USA do not allow gas pumps to be built on a hill. Even a car left in neutral with brakes off at a gas pump will not roll away on its own.

8. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, can't even imagine trying to drive with the emergency brake on. I notice the force pushing back while driving, i.e. sluggish movement, etc. if I leave it on for 3 feet while I'm rolling back out of a parking space.

9. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dealer looked at codes, reset it, and sent her on her way. She went 8 miles, and alert came on again - all 3 same lights came on. Now air conditioner is humid - hot - not blowing cold, and the brake light came on for a few blocks and just turned off.
    Dealer told my wife that the 2004 Prius had a known issue around 60,000 miles, but they don't have the part to fix it. Sound fishy to anyone?

10. Tenebre

Tenebre Custom User Title

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't use the "emergency brake", it'll eventually stop working. The best way to keep it in shape is to use it. I don't know about the US specced version, but my euro specced prius has a red warning light on the dashboard telling the driver that the "emergency brake" is engaged.

11. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    and her car was doing none of this before the brakes episode?

12. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    Just wondering....did the dealer check the condition of the speed sensor in the rear wheel? The heat that generate from the rear brake might damage the speed sensor. And I'm guessing the VSC light on because of that (since the engine/VSC computer can't read anythign from the rear speed sensor if it is damaged).

About the a/c, I'm just guessing (maybe I'm wrong about that, the following is just guessing) because you have your check engine on, the engine computer think there is some problem in the engine so it just disable the a/c pump so that it won't have additional "damage" to the engine.

I'm totally agree that, and it also help to extend the life of the engine/transmission mount since if you just let the transmission to hold the car while you park, all the weight of the vehicle itself will rest on the motor/transmission mount.

13. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I just remember my ex-boss's son do the same thing in his 91 corolla, and it end up melting the rubber on the wheel cylinder and the brake fluid was leaking all over the place. So if they just look at the code and reset it without actually took apart the rear drum, I think it's a little bit risky to drive. Also, you said the brake light was on again after she drive a few block, I think she better pull over and see if the brake fluid is getting low.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that the inverter coolant pump failed. This caused the inverter to overheat, which shut down the air conditioner, affected the DC to DC converter, and turned on the brake warning lights (since the brake system is extremely sensitive to low voltage on the 12V bus.)

If my guess is correct, this has nothing to do with the fact that your wife left the parking brake partially engaged while driving at 75 mph.

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With luck they will fix the handbrake warning light and alarm.

16. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Do a Google search....your suggestion runs contrary to the opinion of every "automotive expert". There are several reasons why this is not advisable.

17. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    right on gator, but then again his suggestions are contrary to everything in the universe..he still believes the earth is flat, harleys are a bad investment and gw was a good pres..lol..

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well I use my e-brake ALL the time, when the car is not moving of course. I've left it on twice, and the car gave me a constant beep until I disengaged it. If it's noisy in the car or outside, you may not hear the beep, but it's constant until you release the brake. I think it didn't start until the car was moving. Noise masking this warning beep is one more reason I refuse to have the radio on or a CD playing while driving. When I'm driving that's what I'm doing, not listening to music, talking on the cell, shaving, reading a newspaper, etc., etc., etc.

Note that unless you really press the pedal hard the e-brake is not very "strong". Pearl has moved on a slop with the e-brake engaged "firmly". So now I apply it a little harder.

BTW Pat, since it's foot activated, I guess we can't call it a "hand brake", but instead a "foot operated e-brake". ;)

Having a hand operated lever for the e-brake is one thing I would change in the Prius if I could. They are much more useful.

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wheel speed sensor, wheel cylinder, brake shoes, drums, wheel bearings... any of the whole nine yards could be affected by driving like that. can't say much more knowing what we know right now.

20. DaveLev

DaveLev New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrick said:
    I believe, Patrick, that the dealer said exactly the same thing.

The tech was scratching his head what to do, and had to call Toyota to find out how to proceed.

I did some searching regarding the inverter on other threads while he was on the phone with Toyota, and that's what it sounded like to me as well.

I called my wife and told her what other prius owners thought it may be, which she wrote down while we were on the phone. Right after she wrote it down, the tech walked up and said, "it's a problem with the inverter". They let her drive away in a rental (corolla) at no charge, and said they'd have the parts in a few days. The car is under warantee, so whatever is wrong will be covered 100%, we were assured.

She headed to Washington for her family reunion in the corolla, the prius is still in oregon, and I will post again once I find out what the results are from the dealer.