1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help - even the dealer can't find the problem! (Toyota Fielder)

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by jonvaljean, Oct 30, 2022.

1. jonvaljean

jonvaljean New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

My 2016 Corolla Fielder (JDM) hybrid with the 1NZ-FE engine has started misfiring at idle and very light throttle conditions under load. It's done 131,000km from new.

Shortly before this started, I changed the engine oil and filter, and replaced the (original) spark plugs with new Toyota branded OEM denso plugs gapped to 1.1mm.

This problem can be reproduced by ensuring the car is at normal operating temperature and accelerating very lightly on a slight incline. It can also be heard by placing the vehicle in park and letting the revs drop to about 1000rpm. It is also very apparent when the car tries to turn off the ICE and switch to the electric motor at low road and engine speeds. There is frequently bucking and kicking and the typical “rattle of death” from the clutch coupling.

At no point has the CEL been triggered. Under all other conditions (including WOT) the car performs as it has always done in the 20,000km I’ve owned it.

Things I have tried already in this exact order:

1) Swapped back original plugs, no difference. Swapped new plugs in one at a time, no difference.

2) Bought a new coil and replaced one coil one at a time testing each time, no difference.

3) Unplugged EGR valve, test drive (CEL active) no difference.

4) Disconnected 12v battery to reset ECU, no difference.

5) Pulled EGR valve, pipe to manifold and cleaned spotless, they weren’t very dirty and the EGR valve still had freedom of movement. Visually inspected EGR cooler, very clean. Refitted everything, no difference.

6) Removed fuel injectors, inlet manifold and throttle body. Cleaned everything, confirmed EGR ports in inlet manifold not blocked, throttle body had some carbon build-up near butterfly, cleaned thoroughly. Cleaned injectors, bench bled with cleaning solution, replaced everything, no difference.

I dropped the car at the local dealer and they've spent 3 hours or so trying to find the issue. So far, they are seeing a fueling-related issue between several cylinders. The misfire seems to occur on different cylinders at different times.

Dealer has confirmed fuel pump is fine, fuel pressure is fine. Head gasket is fine.

The current plan is to change the o-rings on the bottom of the injectors as they seem to be able to trigger the misfire by spraying brake-clean at the bottom of the injectors.

I'm concerned that this isn't causing the issue, and the dealer is going to spend an awfully long time trying to chase this issue, and was hoping someone here might have read the above and has the answer. The mechanic I am dealing with is very competent but he's never seen this problem before.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

any trouble lights?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the back of this Toyota Tech issue is an article on misfire diagnosis techniques that may prove useful.

Edit: fixed link

#3 ChapmanF, Oct 30, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  4. jonvaljean

jonvaljean New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    No CEL at any point

bisco likes this.
  5. jonvaljean

jonvaljean New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, getting a 404 on that one

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, fixed.

7. jonvaljean

jonvaljean New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    That article just really explains how the dealer can determine the condition the engine is in when it misfires, and the severity of the misfire. It doesn't speak to diagnosing what causes the misfire.

It does say that under very light load conditions it's possible to have a misfire that doesn't trigger warning lights, which seems to be what is occurring. Still no closer really to figuring out what is causing the problem in the first place.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    not enough info. Need hysteresis from TEchstream and fuel trims. need P codes. Not gonna finger it out from here lol

9. jonvaljean

jonvaljean New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm not sure the dealer is going to tell me that information. Was just hoping someone might have an out-of-the-box suggestion, or had direct experience with this kind of misfire. I guess I'll have to wait until the dealer figures it out.

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that representatives from the company that actually made the car can't even point to a cause after three hours on a computer.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those are the trees; the forest is that the whole reason for the article to exist (and the whole reason for the firmware features the article talks about to exist) is to help with diagnosing misfires. The value of being able to identify the specific conditions when misfiring includes:

1. so you can reason about which systems are and aren't involved at that moment (for example, is it happening at mid-loads where EGR is used, or light or heavy loads where it isn't?), and

2. so you can recreate those conditions as closely as possible while you are trying things to see what does or doesn't improve or worsen the condition.

Misfire diagnosis is just hard. There are lots of possible causes, and even for an experienced technician and even with all the assistive technology built into the car, it's a bunch of just good honest work.