1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Faint smell every now and again?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cheerleaderhaley, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Cheerleaderhaley

Cheerleaderhaley New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hello!

I got my used 2015 prius c 4 at 57000 this early July (it’s now at 78000). It’s my first toyota and firist hybrid. Everything runs smooth nut i do a lot of driving for work on a weekly basis. I notice a weird faint smell every so often in the cabin and as quick as it comes, it goes away. It smells like a mix of warmth/plastic/maybe even electric. I get routine oil changes every 4000-4500 miles and have just gotten new tires within the last 2 weeks as there were bubbles on the sidewalls from many of the Chicago/Midwest potholes from the season.

I have done some digging throught this site and by no means am I a car person but I keep seeing something regarding a cooling pump that could be getting fried or some kind of short is causing the smell. I have had no dashboard icons come up, thankfully, but I do have a lot of truama from my old lemon car, a 2016 ford escape, which had 2 complete transmission failures, purge valve issues, etc.

Any squeak, bump, or smell prompts me to always go into a panic because of the old car! I am due to go into the auto shop (great water 360 auto care) for an oil change and i do want them to look into this smell but i don’t know what exactly to have them look for AND the smell doesn’t always happen when you want it to.

I am praying it has nothing to do with the engine or transmission but again, i am not a car person and always assume the worst because of my old car!

My question is, what could be causing this? What should i have them look for/into? Is it costly to replace? Should i ask for a routine transmission flush? Should i have them check the life of the battery or run a whole diagnostic so see if anything shows?

Thank you all for your help in advance! :)

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Prius and Escape transmissions are kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum.

A Prius transmission does not include any clutches, bands, drums, sheaves or link belts. No friction. The fluid is not pressurized or strained to move the car. It's just splashing around to lubricate the gears and cool the electromagnets. It sees waaaay less stress than the fluid in most other transmissions.

This means most people go forever without ever changing the fluid, and the fluid never gets boiled or burnt into the sort of crud that requires flushes to remove.

So... changing the fluid isn't a terrible idea, but you shouldn't even feel like that is a major necessity. You aren't burning your fluid, so you aren't smelling it. If you do decide to change the fluid, insist on real Toyota WS fluid. You don't want something to eat the insulation off the electric coils in your transmission so chemical compatibility is more important than usual.

A lot of words to say: It almost certainly isn't the transmission.

Now, you still have a smell to figure out.

I would start with the battery cooling fan under the left rear seat. You should get familiar with that anyway, as a part of regular maintenance. There are youtube videos that show how to get the panel off with a screwdriver, and then how to clean the fan and tubing system using a vacuum cleaner.

You can take a screwdriver down to the car wash and use their vac if your driveway situation isn't great. Doing that a couple of times a year is going to help you get maximum life out of your hybrid battery.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  3. Cheerleaderhaley

Cheerleaderhaley New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Got it! I’ll take a peek into it. I also feel it may be electric as one of my tire pressure sensors kept going on and off and it might be just the wiring shorting? Idk but the last thing i need is for the car to just stop working!

4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I had a 2012 Prius C, similar issue, intermittent electronic burning smell - usually in the mountains, when I'm working the traction battery really hard. Do Not place any bags behind the drivers seat. That round air intake will suck the bag against it and block cooling to your traction battery. In my case, I always threw my sunshade in the seat rear floorboard area. Every once in a while they would slide over, behind the drivers seat and plug that intake vent. You can verify that the smell is coming from your traction pack by placing your hand on that plastic covering below your rear seat bum cushions. It shouldn't be warm, because airflow from the traction battery cooler should be keeping it cool.

Hope this helps....

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'd recommend you try to find the general area of the car first, before asking asking to have something checked and not know where to have them look.
    Next time you notice itl, find a place to pull over safely and put your sniffer to work, around the dash area and in the back near the floor vent , back seat and hatch / trunk.
    If you can find where it is coming from, you'll be in a much better position to get some help with what the problem might be..