1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Find Commercial Recycled Products!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by geologyrox, Aug 2, 2006.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I'm trying to help out a sort of futile political campaign here locally. I say sort of futile because enough has changed (districting and 'current events') to where we actually might stand a chance. I've tossed myself into his right wholeheartedly, and am trying to put my help where I'm most valuable.

I had hoped that, using the power of the internet, I could find a place to produce their campaign materials (signage, flyers, stickers, etc) out of at least partially recycled materials - that can themselves be recycled. It's harder than I thought! I've called many a local sign shop (our preference would normally be to buy locally) who can't even point me in the right direction. I've searched on the internet, but I'm coming up short. How do I find a niche product like this?

I'm not really willing to spend 'much' more of the precious little money they've got on upgrading to recycled/able goods, but I'm SURE these products exist at comprable prices. Can anyone help me find someone quick, reasonably priced, and environmentally friendly? Thanks!

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll look but I think you've got a problem. Last year I looked into ordering non chlorine bleached, recycled paper and there are hardly any sources for this. The source that I did find was a million times more expensive than traditional paper. Since we're a start-up company, we cannot afford this upgrade. I was upset by this as Chlorine is a terrible thing to be pumping into our environment. To try to make up for this, I recycle all paper generated by this office. I also, instead of throwing away faxes that I don't require, put them back in the fax machine so that the other side of the paper is utilized. Since I was looking for something as basic as paper, I'm assuming you'll encounter more trouble than I looking for your product. If I find something, I'll repost.

3. Mirza

Mirza New Member

A few years ago some guy from a company came into class/school to show us this new (for the time) process that produces paper from what looked like sugarcane plants... can't find any info on it.

Office Depot carries recycled printing paper though... I buy it, and I think it's not much more expensive than regular paper... I am inclined to say there's almost no cost difference. I believe it contains like 25% or 50% post consumer recycled content... probably towards the lower percentage. No recall of it having been chlorine-free... so it's not exactly what you're looking for.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have said try Office Depot. I think they also print signs.

Not sure about signage paper. If the printers don't have supplier you probably won't find it.

I'm not sure about how many times paper can be recycled. Isn't there a limit? Can recycled paper be recycled again?

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I found online that Office Depot and Staples have pledged to carry a certain amount of recycled products and one of them ceased all dealings with paper vendors producing from old-growth forests.

Have you considered reusing stuff? You mentioned "signage". What if an appliance store has large corregated cardboard that you can use? Even if you cover it with non-recycled but recyclable products, you are still standing by the cause.

6. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Aug 2 2006, 06:20 AM) [snapback]296203[/snapback]</div>
    You might try contacting your local trash company; in my town, they also handle recycling and are a good source of data.

Also, after this campaign, what are you planning to do with the 'used' signage? Perhaps the local schools could benefit also?

7. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Well, the good news is that recycled papers are becoming more common and less expensive. SSimon, you might be surprised at how reasonably priced the papers are getting. You can get 30% recycled paper for very close to what virgin paper costs - 5 cases from Staples for $130 after coupon&tax. We've been using 30% paper for a while now in our office laser printer with no ill effects. The 100% and chlorine free variety is more expensive (3 cases for $120) but that's still much less than it used to be. I found several local printers who stock 25-40% papers, a couple of them even use environmentally friendly ink. For flyers and posters, I think we'll be able to get cost effective recycled products.

As for signage, I've been searching high and low for yard signs. We're in Florida, and cardboard signs tend to self destruct by November. Doesn't stop some people, but we don't want to be the folks whose signs are clumpifying on the ground under the frame. Their initial plan was to order the corrugated plastic signs that are popular here - they're expensive, but sturdy. Unfortunately, none appear to be made from recycled materials. I'll have to check to see if they are recyclable, but they might well be useful to other groups even if they aren't.

The best thing I've found got so far are the "bag signs" - poly bags that slip over metal frames. There are at least a couple companies who say that "recycled material is used in the manufacture..." but I don't have any numbers yet. They do say the bags are recyclable in most areas. Wstander, good call on the recycling company - I'll put a call in tomorrow morning to see what they can and cannot process. They are a good bit cheaper than the corrugated plastic signs, too - makes the switch easier. The metal frames (for all yard signs) are sort of expensive, and very heavy - we might be able to get them locally for less in the end. Don't know what on earth we'd do with several thousand metal frames at the end of the season, either.

Anyway, pretty good prospects. Thanks for the help so far - feel free to chime in with anything else you think might help. Hope my research is valuable to someone else along the way =)

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Aug 2 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]296768[/snapback]</div>
    Most of the plastic signs can be recycled, but you have to ask if the material has the "3 arrow" symbol so it can be sorted correctly, otherwise the recyclers won't take them. Or they will take them and toss them in the landfill. With plastics, you can't mix them and melt them, so they don't like to take a chance.

Also look at aluminum signs ... while it sounds like they would be more expensive, they might be less than the frames and plastic signs. Aluminum can be recycled, and most aluminum you get already has a recycled content. Its one of the easiest things to recycle, and uses less energy to melt down and reuse than it does to create it out of the ore.

9. Mirza

Mirza New Member