1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help for 15K checkup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by worrywort, Dec 5, 2007.

1. worrywort

worrywort New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried posting but probably didn't do it right. At any rate, I scheduled an oil change with the dealer at 14700, not realizing they would try to get me to do the 15K maintenance. (I declined $125 detailing and had a good coupon for the oil change. They were to check fluids, etc).

I arrived and they wanted me to authorize a $525 plus 15K maintenance (plus 8.75% sales tax). This would include: front end alignment and tire rotation and balancing. (I rotated tires last time, only 2500 miles ago.) I change oil every 2500 but don't use synthetic. I tried using synthetic oil on my last car but was told that I still had to change it every 2500 miles--too expensive.

The dealer would check the brakes (take the wheels off) and change the brake fluid. They would lubricate the doors and suspension and hinge to the hood. They would pressure test the fuel injectors and pressure clean them (HOW???). They would check the fluid level in the battery and look to see if the terminals were corroded. This was for the 12 volt battery. There was no mention of any inspection of the hybrid storage battery. They would check the belts and hoses. They would "change the transmission fluid". They would look at the CV boot.

Conspicuously, they did not say they would look at wiper blades, coolant or radiator. This is Buffalo. The pot-hole season has started. Most of us save "alignments" for later in the season if everything looks good now.

I am not sophisticated in my understanding of what is needed. I do believe the dealer saw me as an easy target. I looked at my tires. The wear was even. I was told if I had the tires balanced again, the front end aligned (no symptoms now) and rotated the tires again (just 2500 miles after the last rotation) that I would get 46000 miles on my tires. I think this is a bit optimistic.

I looked at the Toyota website for the maintenance schedule. It lists a lot of inspections. How much is involved in the listed inspections? I don't want to jeopardize the car but also know I won't fit under the car the way I used to when I checked my Saab and Volvo. I think some of the things listed will require that the car be put on a lift.
    Are the things listed on the Toyota Website's checklist such that they should cost this much??? Any suggestions on doing the listed inspections without a bill of this magnitude?

I'd appreciate any suggestions you could give. Are there any manuals that would walk me through looking at everything on the website?

Thanks.
    Worrywort in Buffalo

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to take the Scheduled Maintenance Guide with you. Show the 15K (or whatever) page to the service writer and tell them to do exactly those items, no more and no less. To save a little more, buy your own oil in bottles (three is actually enough) and hand it to them to be used. If they object to any of this go to another dealer.

Every dealer service department has a pre-determined menu of "X miles services" which includes everything that can possibly be done on any car, including several things that cannot be performed on a Prius. If you walk in and say "gimme your X miles service", you're a rube asking to get screwed.

4. patrickindallas

patrickindallas Shire rat

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to my friendly dealer this week for an oil change and rotate (yes, I really am that lazy!).

He asked if I wanted the 15K.

I said no.

Then I asked how much it cost.

He said ~485USD.:eek:

Curiosity didn't kill me this time, but it did make me laugh out loud.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Number of people here on PC used Mobil 1 and other brands of synthetic oil for over 10k miles. Go check out the used oil analysis reports posted.

If you are using regular oil, the maintenance passport calls for 5k oil change intervals.

Make sure to check out galaxee's excellent list.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd suggest finding a different dealer for service. Almost everything they suggested doing for $525 is not needed at 15k, and 2500 miles is only 1/2 of the factory recommended oil change interval (which many agree is very conservative anyway).

According to the maint schedule you are due for:

Oil and Oil Filter Change

Tire Rotation

Air Filter Inspection

Other minor inspections (Brake, CV boots, etc) if you drive under severe conditions. (Buffalo may qualify, I've been there in the winter ;) )

Here is my take on the stuff they want to do:

Front End Align - Only if you are experiencing handling or tire wear issues.

Brake Check - Takes no more than 30 sec. They have the wheels off for tire rotation anyway.

Brake Fluid Change - Way , Way too early. Change if it is dark in color, otherwise not necessary.

Fuel Injector Clean - Way Way too early if ever needed at all. If you use good quality gas, you may never need it. This is almost voodoo on a car with 15k miles.

Battery level check - The 12V battery is a sealed AGM type, you can't refill it anyway. Not a bad idea to check for corrosion on the terminals, this is shown in the Owner's manual, takes about 5 minutes because you need to remove the rear cargo area tray to gain access.

Belts and Hoses - Only 1 belt and a few hoses. At 15k miles, its way too early to need to replace any unless somehow physically damaged. Not likely. About 1 min to visually check.

Change trans fluid -Way too early. I actually changed mine at 10k and had it analysed just for fun. I'm going to take a sample every 10k. In a couple of years, I can let you know what a good interval is, but I'm thinking between 30 and 60k. The factory says check at 120k IIRC.

CV Boot - Takes 30 sec to check this while doing the tire rotation.

So, again, your dealer is trying to rip you off, I would try to find a more honest one.