1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! GEN 2 - 2005 Prius-Sirus/Terristerial Radios/CD go on/off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by newbie prius, Sep 5, 2018.

1. newbie prius

newbie prius Junior Member

HELP!
    Long time female follower on PriusChat. All have my deepest respect.
    Need your assistance. Yes, "my baby" is old, but mechanically she is still getting it on. Hope soon to join the 300K mile club.
    Back in 2005, I had installed integrated Sirus radio into my car. Yes, it is integrated into all 9 JBL speakers. It shows on on my Multi Display Unit as: SAT I, SAT 2, SAT 3. Sirus box itself is located behind left rear seat hidden behind left side trunk compartment trim (absolutely hidden).

Live along the coast of S.C. where it gets very hot. Started noticing in hot weather, the radio, Sirus, & CD will just cut off. Sometimes before it goes off, it will get a little staticky and then completely cut off.

Right now, hubby and I have everything apart (complete dismantling of dash, etc.). Yes, everything (radio, Sirus, & CD) were running and working while we dismantled everything. Once the sun heated up and was cooking us and car, all went dead. On occasion, it will come back on. Yes, we do realize that Sirus radio works on its own antenna and doesn't require Prius' car antenna. That being said, we also analyzed it must be something with the heat and speaker wiring? Sorry, very amateur about all this.

Please, Please, does anyone on this board have any ideas on why this is occurring?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It might be your radio that's failing. 2005 to now is a very long time

3. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or, could be the amp under the front passenger seat, or the wiring to add the satellite.

bisco and JC91006 like this.
  4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would unplug and re-seat all plugs in the radio, amp and satellite unit, checking that the connections are clean. Likely, there is a component "burning out"; my bet is in the amp. I would look at a "Pick'N'Pull" for another amp and start there (for cheap).

JC91006 likes this.
  5. newbie prius

Did think of that, but we've had it where the weather is cool and absolutely no problem. Everything stays on. Once we are back in "hot weather" the symtoms start and everything goes off. Thank you for your thoughts on this and for responding.

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the amp under the seat covered and overheating? is it dusty inside its case? It still could be a bad component, but if it can't "breathe" that could be the problem. This is why "Dust-Off" was invented.

JC91006 likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In reading ITBland's comments, I believe he is on to something about the overheating amp. I think the amp is under the passenger seat. I might even have an extra amp from a 2008 model in my parts bin, if you need the part.

8. newbie prius

Going to look at this. We see the "stereo component amplifier" is located under the front passenger seat.
    Just curious, why would this only occur during a "hot" climate?

9. newbie prius

Aww, thank you. Will let you know. Hubby is worn out. Said he will look at everything tomorrow. Will let you know, kind person.

10. newbie prius

When hubby starts looking at it tomorrow again. (he's recovering from 3rd oral cancer) I will tell him this also.
    It really means a lot that you have taken your time to assist us. I will let you know what we find out. Thanking you again!

11. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do all the audio inputs go dead or just the satellite radio? (Aux, AM, FM, or CD). If it affect them all, it will be a radio/amplifier issue. If it just the XM, then I would look at the antenna (that bakes in the sun most of the time). Throw a small bag of ice on it for a couple minutes to cool it down and see if it comes back.

Would think everything else would be in the air conditioning and less affected by the outside temperature.

12. newbie prius

Want to really thank all of you for helping us out!! Yes, we do believe it was the amp. Did as we were instructed here and blew out all dust to all connections. Also, don't yell at me (pls) but hubby think that because I kept the California Duster for yrs on top of the amp that as I was told by you gentlemen, that it was probably "overheating" with that duster on top of it. We just put everything together today and have it sitting out in the "sun." No cutoffs.
    Hands down! Love, Love this website and all you wonderful caring folks.
    Thank you again!!

ITBland, kenoarto and JC91006 like this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The amp had a blanket on it for years LOL

14. newbie prius

Oh my goodness, JC91006, you are so right! I feel like such a "dork."
    Thank you also for your suggestions and concern.

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No harm done. Many people don't know there's an amp under there

ITBland likes this.