1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help.. got P3009... and not much money to spare

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by j_sooner, Jun 9, 2009.

1. j_sooner

j_sooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good morning...

I have a GEN 1 (2001) with 178000 miles.. I adquired the car almost 2 yeas back and has given me around 40,000 miles.. at 44 MPG (not bad at all)...

About 9 months ago, all I got the RED Triangle and ussing a ELM237 was able to extract the code P3009 (cant find the subcode yet)...

Thinking it was the traction battery... I went to a junker and got a 2002, I installed it (after reading all manuals and postings), reset codes... and after a few minutes same code came up..
    Well, I have keep driving the car, (cause it was the only one I got) until about 3 months ago, the small battery (12v)died..
    I had a brand new battery from another car, so I replace the connections and it works but INVERTER is not charging it...
    Eventually, the 12v battery gets drained and the car will die..

The Main Battery SOC is allways 3/3 to Full, I can hear the MG1 and MG2 working.. The ICE will start and will charge the main battery..

As I drive, I can not hear any HUMM.. like others have descrived as signs of Transmission problems..

I dont have much money to spare, and cant afore to keep guessing to fix this thing...

Is there a procedure to test the INVERTER? if is failing (I think it is), how can I be 100% sure...

I have an spare traction battery if someone is interested...
    Regards
    j.

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read this link:
    You got a bas HV transaxle.
    Prius: 1st gen - Replacing Transaxle

Same code: P3009

P.S. I don't know what search engine you use but it was among the top 5 of the google result
    by "P3009 Toyota code"

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3009 means that a high voltage leak exists. Somewhere in the high voltage path connecting the traction battery to the inverter and then to the transaxle, the high voltage is leaking to ground.

The Art's Automotive article cited by ceric shows how to determine which component is causing the HV leak. It might be the traction battery, the traction battery ECU, the battery cable, the inverter, or the transaxle.

Regarding your complaint of a 12V battery that does not stay charged: you can easily test the function of the DC to DC converter that is within the inverter. Simply make the Prius READY and measure the voltage across the 12V battery. It should be around 13.8VDC. If much less than that, this is proof that the DC to DC converter has failed.

However, this would not be the cause of P3009. So the inverter may be the cause of both problems, or you may have yet another problem. Good luck.

4. j_sooner

j_sooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    thanks to both of you....
    I was able to fix the DC/DC PC board. It cost me $25+shipping from ebay..
    I did not removed the entire inverted/dc unit, I was able to lift it high enogh for me to remove the back cover and replace the electronics and now the car is charging the 12v battery.
    Now I am looking for a cheap transaxel.. I will keep driving it until I find it..
    looks like the job takes time but is bad at all..
    I may atempt to replace the trans-fluid in the mean time...
    regards,
    j.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know it was possible to purchase subassemblies within the inverter. Congratulations on taking care of that problem.

Have you narrowed down the P3009 problem to the transaxle? As I previously mentioned, that DTC could be due to a ground fault anywhere from the traction battery to the transaxle.

6. j_sooner

j_sooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Replacing electrical parts in the inverter is quite simple. Finding the dc/dc on ebay was just a blessing.. I have not seen it before on ebay, problable because it gets descarted along with the main inverted part...

Yes, I am 90% sure the transaxle is the cause of the P3009. One post pointed out that while in Neutral, the Inverter and G1 and G2 are disconnected. I can reset the DTC with my laptop and it is not reported only after I place the the car is on Park/Drive/reverse..

I have already discarded the main battery, since was the first thing I replaced...

7. j_sooner

j_sooner New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Final update.. Yea... finally...
    I kept driving the car until the transmission started to fail (slow down and had to leave to rest for a few minutes until it would engage with ICE and move the car)....
    Also a bad smell was developed (Burned oil) only noticed at end of any trip (I am sure the trans-fluid was getting hot)...

Any way.. I found a donnor for $400..
    It took me 4 days (arround 6 hours x day) to take all stuff of the car and lower the tran-side to alow have it rest over a cart, de-attach from engine, roll it out and roll the new one in, and re-attache....
    I now have a Classic with a donnated Trans, and ALL ERRORS and MIL are gone..

I have droved the car for 500 miles now, and getting 42MPG. with my original BIG battery, the other one I have will be kept as spare as soon as the original (2001) fails, I will replace with the spare (2003) and keep driving this nice little car.
    As of today it has 184K miles..
    Not bad at all..
    If some one is interested in a failling Trans for parts.. let me know. It is heave..
    regards all..
    j.

1 person likes this.
  8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congradulations! A nice job all the way around !:D

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm glad it all worked out so well for you.

You may want to look into a way to maintain charge on the spare battery to keep it in condition for when you want it. Some threads by Bob Wilson have a lot of information on charge maintenance.

-Chap

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not the parts but two thing would help:

• photos - we like to see pictures to the internal damage. Along with symptoms, it makes it a lot easier to diagnose the next one.
    • area under differential - I'm curious about the sludge and crud that might be under the differential gear. I have a hypothesis that the differential is 'grinding' the left over material in the transaxle oil into a find, dust-like material. Some of that stuff is conductive so anything you can share is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

11. Shubin Andrey

Shubin Andrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hello guys,

is it possible to read temperature of inverter and motors (mg1/mg2) using elm237/k-line usb from my classic prius.
    could you please point me to some software i should check first.
    thanks.