1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP, HELP, HELP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusLove, Apr 25, 2007.

1. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

Our 2004 was fine last night.

This morning it won't start, although all the dash lights come on, and flash, it never gives the ready signal.

When I turn it off, the square lights around the gears continue to flash for a moment, the red key in car signal remains on.

My husband and I have both tried to start it with our key, to no avail.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this was leaving my key in my purse along with the cell phone, overnight, and leaving the purse in the house, about 10 feet from the car.

My husband is on the phone with Toyota now, but I trust you guys more. Can you help?

2. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you have SKS? How long have you had the car?

3. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Apr 25 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]429965[/snapback]</div>
    The car has 60,000 miles on it. We bought it a couple of years ago.

I have turned the sks system off and on. My smart key (the one left near the cell phone) is dead. My hub's still locks and unlocks the car from the outside.

I have learned that the red key signal simply means the theft deterrent system is activated. It goes off and on, as it should when the working key is in the car.

4. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, if you've had the car for 2 years then you are an experienced Prius driver so I won't speculate on the obvious. The sensor on the brake pedal may be faulty. Does it act like you don't have your foot on the Brake? And the battery in your fob may be dead but if you insert the key(fob) in the slot, it should work.

5. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RBW111 @ Apr 25 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]429984[/snapback]</div>
    It doesn't respond to the foot on the brake, except to start all the lights flashing on the display panel.
    It also give me 5 beeps, and my owner's manual says nothing about that

On the MFD, there is no reading shown for the hybrid battery at all.

This is very scary!

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try jump starting it...sounds like the 12v may be dead/dying.

7. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If it were mine, the tow truck would be on the way over from the toyota dealership. It could be anything. Please let us know what you find out. This WILL happen to someone else. I hope it's not me.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the prius tends to act downright possessed when the 12v battery is low.

9. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

Thanks for being there/here, folks!

The tow truck is on its way over now. I wonder if it is the 12v. battery? I'm sure it is the original one, but I'm also sure we had no low battery warning as of yesterday. Our weather went from moderate to very hot overnight, however. Perhaps it was too much for an aging battery.

The major warning light (exclamation point in the circle) is what convinced me to call Toyota. Every reference to it in the book said it meant we have a hybrid systems failure. That may not be the problem, but at this point I'm so very grateful to know that we are still under the Toyota 100K mile warranty on the hybrid system.

I'll keep you posted.

10. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You didn't mention the sudden change in weather before. I bet you find the 12v battery has a bad cell in it. The weather change is the indicator. Keep us informed please.

11. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Wait! Did you put the FOB into the dash. Remember it can be put in the dash if the FOB battery ever goes out. The car dash comes on and says it can detect the key. The manual says this could hapen and run down the battery if you leave the FOB too close to the car.

If the 12 v battery is down a simple jump to that battery should get he car started and everything should return to normal in 20 min. or so.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Betcha a nickel you left a light on, or a door or the rear hatch ajar. That will drain the 12V battery sufficiently to wack things out. I always lock the car, no matter where it is, to minimize the chances of doing that.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

13. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 25 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]430101[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Cheap. Yep, I put both FOBs in the slot.

I know that leaving the key within a certain distance of the car will run down the FOB battery, so I tried both of them, and no response. The remote lock and unlock feature still works on each of them, so I presume that means their batteries are good.

I'll ask the tow driver to try to jump the battery when he gets here.

I almost bought a portable plug in auto-battery charger to keep in the car, but didn't, because I wanted to research it first. So far, what I've learned is that the charge amps should be 60-90, or their is risk of damage to system components.

14. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

Just read up on how to jump a Prius before he gets there. He should be able to do it from the passenger side of the trunk.

15. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Apr 25 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]430115[/snapback]</div>
    Tow Truck Report:

We read the manual and tried to jump from the terminals on the front driver's side. The car drained his portable trickle charger. Then we had our prius-driving friends pull their car around and tried to jump from there, with no luck.

The big truck can't get to the car, the car can't be shifted into neutral so we can't move it. This driver has left ad they are sending another one with a winch, so please keep your fingers crossed for us. I heard the first driver on the phone talking about disconnecting the shift linkage (EEP!) I hope we don't have to do that.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusLove @ Apr 25 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]430146[/snapback]</div>
    There is no shift linkage...so please don't let them try. The shifting is all "by-wire".

Sometimes jumping off of the front jump points is tricky, you should consider trying via the battery directly in the hatch.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moderator note:
    Priuslove started a new topic to continue this saga...I've deleted that to keep the thead consistant and will post the entirety of her other thread here:

I don't have an update from Toyota yet. At this point I don't know whether to hope they find a minor problem like a 12 v. battery (which means we pay for the tow, the $90 diagnostic fee, the loaner car, and the new battery) or something major that is covered by warranty.

However, now that I have calmed down and gone back through the threads on this forum, I have to say that what happened to us was well described on this thread:

http://priuschat.com/Half-dead-12v-battery-t31236.html

The only difference that I noted was that our flashng warning lights also included the Hybrid System failure (!) warning.

I also followed a link suggested in this thread

http://priuschat.com/12V-replacement-batte...sic-t30467.html and found this diagnostic for checking the charge of the 12v battery. it may be posted here already, but just in case it's not:

Prius battery test procedure for all Prius Cars

Blue pertains only to the 2004 + Prius
    Green pertains only to the 2000 to 2003 Prius.

Here is a battery test you can perform on a Prius battery that is easy to do. It will not always detect a weak battery that does not allow you to park you car for long before it is drained down by the security system.

However, this test requires no tools, is easy to do and will give you some idea of the state of your battery. You can also perform this test after the car has been parked for a while to see how well the battery holds up under the drain from the security system.

* Do this test after you have driven the car for at least 30 minutes. This will give the battery a chance to be fully charged.
    * Put the transmission in Park.
    * Turn ignition switch to off.
    * Engage the parking break
    * (2000 to 2003)Turn ignition switch to Accesory. (do not start the engine)

* 2004+ Push in the power button.
    * Push Display button. (2000 to 2003)Top rocker to the right of the radio 2004+ top button to left of screen - "DISPLAY" will now appear in the upper left corner of your screen.)
    [​IMG]

* Push on the upper left(1) and lower left display(2) of the display just inside the box. (see picture) Do this three times. Keep trying till the screen changes. If the word "Display" in the upper left hand corner of the screen goes away hit the display switch again.
    * Push on Menu in upper right of display screen.
    * Push on Display Check
    * Push on Vehicle Signal Check
    * You will see the 12 volt voltage displayed.
    * 2004 + In accessory mode the voltage should be 12.6
    * With no electrical accessories on including lights the voltage should be fluctuate between 12.2 and 11.9. The lower the voltage, the less of a charge your battery currently has. If the voltage is low do not proceed as the load test might totally discharge your battery. (If you see a voltage around 13.5 you are seeing voltage from the high voltage battery being converted to around 13.5 in an attempt to recharge your battery. This normally does not occur till after you start the engine but might occur earlier if the battery is very drained.)
    * You can also test the battery by turning on the headlights, rear window heater and the heater fan. For a new battery the voltage would be around 11.3. If the voltage drops below 10.2 it should definitely be replaced. For voltages in between the lower the voltage, the lower current charge of your battery.
    * Note: If in doubt disconnect the 12 volt battery completely (start with the negative post to avoid shorting the battery) and hook it up to a battery tester.

18. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

Thanks, feel free to change the thread title, if you think it will help folks find it in the future. :)

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    2004? Could it be the good ol' ECU never been flashed scenerio? If not the 12v battery, that may be a suspect.
    Sounds like what used to happen prior to the fix, maybe. Has your ECU been updated?

20. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 26 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]430572[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know, when did the ECU mod/fix come out? We just had the car into Toyota a few months ago for routine stuff. If a fix was needed then wouldn't they have told us?

(a detour here: We bought the car used. I ish

Toyota kept a unversal database of maintenance for each vin)

but I am deep into a very early article on the 'O4 and it says:

There is another myth circulating that you can use an outside source to charge the batteries – not so. There is a normal-sized 12-volt battery in the left corner of the trunk, but it is far from “normal.†Study glass mat batteries before you even try to charge this one up. Toyota is having more than their share of trouble with this 12-volt battery. Watch for TSBs about this in the near future. A pulse charger is used, but my studies show the car itself is the best charger to use. That is true for the main battery pack as well.

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/article/a...il.jsp?id=76245

That sounds like a problem that was waiting to happen, and it sounds like I need to check the TSBs.
    Thanks