1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP - High pitched noise when driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriMPG, Sep 12, 2009.

1. PriMPG

PriMPG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm hearing a very high pitched sound coming from the dash area while driving. It can only be heard with the radio off but it seems to fluctuate as I most throughout the HSI. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal for the prius? This is my first prius so I wanted to ask here first before I take my car to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!
    -Brandon

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wouldn't worry about it... Sounds like your hearing what you should be hearing from driving a hybrid vehicle such as the Prius. It is the HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) system in action...

More threads about it, I searched for high pitch noise...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...781-what-mechanical-whine-noise-in-front.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...e-troubleshooting/65537-high-pitch-noise.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ched-sound-while-moving-in-drive-reverse.html

3. several

several New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know that DVD that came with your instruction manual? Watch it.

4. GoGreenTreeHugger

GoGreenTreeHugger New Member

Model:
    IV
    Hey my neighbor was asking about that cd he has the case for one but don't have the cd. Do you know where he can get it.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The dvd did not come in a case, it came in a sleeve. Have your neighbor contact the dealership they purchased the car from and notify them the dvd was not included with the documentation provided with the car.

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i have the high pitch sound also.

it happens when the brake pedal is pressed.

the car can be moving or standing still.

something is wrong because i didn't have this noise when i first picked up the car.

i started noticing it after the tech took the dash apart.

anther tech listened to it and seemed to be familiar with it and will fix it next week when they fix my ipod connection.

7. msberlin

msberlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up my Gen III a few days ago and it had a horrible sound immediately. It only stopped when I was at full stop. I took it back and they looked at it and the next day they said there had been a pebble in the suspension (car people, does that make sense?) and all was good now.

So I drove it home yesterday and the horrible sound is gone, replaced by a high-pitched annoying sound that happens during acceleration. I suppose I could drown it out with the radio but I just paid a lot of money of a brand new 2010 Prius. Do all 2010s make this sound? Or should I take it back?!

8. Omni-TaG

Omni-TaG New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Go back to your dealer. There is NO annoying noises what so ever in Priuses. What you describe is not normal and should be looked after by a competent tech.

9. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I have heard the sound you describe and I don't think that anyone responding so far has heard it. It is a low volume but very high frequency "thin hiss" coming from the engine compartment. I hear it occasionally, when the car is very silent (the air conditioner is on, radio off). I've learned to ignore it. :)

10. SPlautz

SPlautz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a Gen III Prius V /w ATP that I just picked up today. I hear this faint high pitched noise coming from the direction of the dash as well. It tends to happen when I accelerate and goes quiet at times, changing pitch occasionally as well. Is this normal? I wonder if the original poster ever got this checked out by the dealer.. Being the the noise is so high pitched, I'm assuming some might not hear it as well as others.. perhaps younger people would notice it more. I'm going to mention it the dealer the next time I'm down there to see what they can do.