1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! I have a probing question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LT1bird, Aug 4, 2005.

1. LT1bird

LT1bird New Member

Hello All,

I was wondering if you Prius gurus could help a newbee
    out? I have a 2005 Prius with ~2500 miles. So far I've babied
    it and am getting ~55mpg. I'm very pleased. Anyway, I am
    going to take a road trip out to Vegas this weekend and wanted
    to change my oil before the trip. I'm aware that since its a new
    car, metal particles are probably circulating in the oil pan. I want
    to change it, but keep the same filter as I'm going to have it changed
    once again at 5K. I'm thinking of using Mobil1 synthetic. My question
    is, if I change my oil will it in any way affect the warranty? I only want
    to do the 1st change myself.... the rest will be done at the dealer.
    Could you help a fellow Prius owner out? Any advise is welcomed!

Cheers,
    LT1bird

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    From what I hear, it's OK to do it yourself and won't void the warranty, but be sure to keep records of when and what you did.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0ea4e8600d]Maintenance is concerned with minimums: Change oil at a minimum of every 5000 miles. If you wanted to change your oil every day, that wouldn't bother your warranty, as long as you do it and can document it at the 5000 mile marks.

It seems to me to be a waste, though. From other discussions on here, there is very little metal in initial oil changes. [/font:0ea4e8600d]

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 2500 miles if you're going to change only one thing (oil vs filter) I'd vote for the filter. The oil will not be broken down at all this early one but there will definately be crap in the filter and it could be an impediment to flow.

I, too, changed oil for the first time at 2-3k miles, but I did both. I'd recommend you do that too...the filters are cheap and you'll be sure to have good clean oil. Stretch out your 5000 mile change to 6000 or 6500, then change again at ~10k and then you can be back on track for your q5000 mile changes.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I would agree. If you think there's metal floating around in the pan, you can bet there's more stuck in your filter. I change my own oil and always with the filter. Hell, they're not THAT expensive.

6. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But the thing is, there isn't any metal floating around in your pan. First, the engines are precision manufactured, precision assembled, bench tested and bench broken-in with oil and filter installed at that time, oil drained, filter changed and then sent on to vehicle assembly. Second, any particulate that may be in the engine right now has been trapped by the filter and is there right now, not running through your engine.

This isn't the 1950s where engines were assembled from the finished castings, sent to bench, filled with oil, given a filter, run a couple of minutes to make sure they won't blow up, and then sent on directly to vehicle assembly. And we also have to consider, this is Toyota. They are not going to send vehicles out the door which could have that liability hidden in the engine. That doesn't help their image of reliability.

I had an oil and filter change at 2500 just because I felt I had gotten enough mileage out of the factory fill and wanted to move over to Mobil1. But I'm getting myself back on a 4000 or 5000 mile schedule from here on out.

You can change the oil yourself, just be sure to keep your receipts for the filter and oil you purchase as proof of having the materials to do the job. In your case right now, change both filter and oil. I have never changed my oil without the filter or vice versa. They two go hand in hand.