1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help!I lost my trunk cover!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mswhealer, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Can someone help me? I lost my trunk cover (the little screen thing that slides out and covers up the stuff in the trunk) and I don't know where to look for another one? Anyone have any ideas? Any ideas of how much it will cost? Help me if you can! Thanks.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best thing is to ask your Toyota dealer for a replacement.

3. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

They are often called "tonneau covers" Dealer would be the most expensive (but for this item, maybe the most convenient) place to get one. Maybe a Froogle or Google search would help you locate one.

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

I believe I've read other Priuschat posts about people who have no use for that cover and never use it.

I think the fair thing to do would be to check out what a dealer would charge, then negotiate a fee to buy it privately based upon what the dealer charges.

1/2 what a dealer would charge should be a good starting price.

These kinds of covers are custom made so to get one on google or froogle would not likely work, except to get a used one from someone who has no need for it.

Junk yards would be a source, but how many Prii could there be sitting mangled in a Junk yard? Maybe 5 nationwide? And probably 50% of those are mangled in the back with a destroyed cover.

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    These covers are NOT custom made, they are mass produced! . . . just like the Prius itself. My cover will fit in any other Prius slot, and any other Prius cover will fit in mine.

Salvage yards have now gone high tech and are on the internet!

Google “auto salvage yard†to get a list of online nationwide auto parts locators.

I have never used one, but the concept makes so much sense - Why call a single yard when you can go online and tell hundreds of yards nationwide what you are looking for.

The one I listed below says, “Unlike other Parts Locators who charge for the service, our service is FREE and open 24/7.â€

Do some research, I didn’t!!!!
    You may also consider using a second, junk email address for this type of thing.

http://www.getusedparts.com/fpr_partrequest.asp

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You also might try ebay. I was seeing cargo covers regularly for a while.

I suggest you do a search for just "Prius" in the title. There will be about two pages of stuff. Look through it all in case it's called a tonneau, cargo or trunk cover.

7. KathyY

KathyY Member

I had mine replaced under warranty because the screws kept falling out. The dealer price was well over $200 on the form. By the way, the replacement one is slightly different where the screws were falling out and I don't think that will be a problem anymore. I have had the car for about 19 months.

8. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"104968)</div>
    I meant custom made for the Prius line. A Toneau cover for a Prius will not fit on a SAAB.

And I thought my meaning was pretty obvious. Indeed, I suggested to the guy that he look for covers from other Prius owners that don't use thiers, or to junk yards.

9. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KathyY\";p=\"105007)</div>
    whoa! OK, then, I'll sell mine for $100, no problem...it's a gray one. ('05 purchased 12/04; 8000 miles).
    rob

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"104968)</div>
    This is a good point but not entirely necessary. I doubt very much if there even exists a junk yard in America anymore that simply looks into their own database of parts. When you call just about any one of them, they will immediately go to the interconnected national database, probably while you are on the phone.

Of course, SPE's way might be cheaper because you cut out the middle man, on the other hand, these nationally connected services also are a lot more hardnosed about arriving at a price. You may find a cover from a salvage yard only slightly cheaper than brand new from a dealer.

But I still think that with only about 150,000 of this generation Prius on the road, there are not going to be that many covers in junk yards. Compare that 150,000 to the multi million numbers for Camrys or Corollas.

I think the best way to get one is from someone on Priuschat that is willing to part with theirs. And I think 1/2 the price of what the dealer would charge would be a fair price for both of you. IMHO

11. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

I called Toyota and they want $300 for it. Is there anyone willing to part with their IVORY trunk cover? As suggested by people here, I am willing to pay $150 plus shipping. Please contact me through my website "emilyjensen.net" if you are willing to part with yours. Otherwise, guess I am SOL. Thanks to everyone here for your help.

12. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Anyone want to sell theirs? There's nothing on Ebay and I can't find any for sale except through Toyota dealerships.... anyone? anyone?

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:6c51b0ad4c]Mine's grey, and I want to keep it, but, um... How did you lose your cargo cover?[/font:6c51b0ad4c]

14. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

FOr those interested, I stopped (FOR A FRIEND) at a yard sale for some dumb thing she wanted for her kids. We took the cover out to put the dumb thing in the car and left it on the guy's driveway. He threw it away not knowing what it was.... and my friend didn't even offer to help pay for it.... even after I said, on the way out... "did we get everything? Did i get my trunk cover..." "Oh, yeah, I checked. We got everything." she says. This is a friend that is not really a friend anymore. And I am beside myself that my car is not "perfect" anymore.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For future reference....if you lift up the bottom of the cargo area, underneath there is a place to stow the cargo cover when not in use. I make it a point to do that if I ever put the seats down and need to remove the cargo cover. That way, no way to leave it behind or forget where I put it.

If you need it fast, you may end up paying full price from a dealer. If you're patient and willing to wait....I'd keep checking eBay.

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: It NEVER fails to puzzle me why many Prius owners simply WILL NOT read the Manual. In my Manual on pages 198 - 199 instructions are provided on the use and storage of the luggage cover.

Admittedly, the Manual is not easy to read, but there is a wealth of information on the enjoyment and care of your Prius.

:cry: In all fairness, this owner was victim of taking someone else's assurance that the luggage cover was replaced in the Prius.

17. prius04

prius04 New Member

A good friend of mine has a shirt that says,
    REAL MEN DON'T READ INSTRUCTIONS.

Doesn't apply to Ms Wheeler though.

18. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Excuse me, but I knew there was a place to put it, but after big a%% kids desk was in my car, I couldn't get under the mat to get to the storage place! And I assumed when I said, "did we get my trunk cover, and she said yes, that it was in the car somewhere. Don't assume we haven't read the manual. Geezzz, if I am working this hard to get a tonneau cover, don't you think I love my car enough to read the manual front to back? Come on, quiz me... I am not like some other Prius owners... I am obsessed!

MSWHEALER actually means I am MSW as in (master of social work) healer, as in healer of mind/body/spirit aliments!

19. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mswhealer\";p=\"105697)</div>
    Actually, I've done the same thing as you. I've been both in the position of not being able to get the bottom cover open enough to "store" the cover and needing the cover off for such a short time that I didn't bother to "store" it. So I can see how this happened.

I do think you will find a cover either thru Priuschat or ebay. You could also go on Froogle, as SPE suggested in an earlier post. You might find some kind of generic cover that will do the job, though not as well as one customized to the Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mswhealer\";p=\"105697)</div>
    HA, you got me. What do they say about the word "assume".

20. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

I found one! That guy who has the awful pictures of the wrecked Salsa Red Prius had one that he is selling me. THanks everyone. Crisis averted!