1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! In a bit of a pickle!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Jan 14, 2011.

1. aff219@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ('08 prius)

ok, so without going into massive details...

The keys to this prius have either A. been lost, or B. are locked inside the car, I have no idea which at the moment.

The -only- thing to go on, is on the dash there is an orange light that flashes on/off. It is in the shape of a car and there is a key symbol in the center of it.

I'm not sure what this means, does it mean "hey idiot, your car keys are in here"?

I ask because we're about to spend 75 bucks on a locksmith and if theyre not in there...we're still screwed D:

any suggestions for getting into a prius without paying someone? =/

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The blinky blinky light is the security light telling you - and perspective car thieves - that you can't get into the car without the keys. It's my opinion that the keys ARE NOT in the car.

The Prius will not allow you to lock the keys in the car. Many have tried; most have failed.

UNLESS::
    There are a few "Dead Zones" where the car does not detect the keys. One of those Dead Zones is the cargo area. It is possible to leave the keys in the cargo area, manually lock the doors from the inside and shut the door.

Keep us posted.

[Edit] I've added a snippet from the manual explaining the flashing light. If I understand which light you're referring to.

Attached Files:

3. aff219@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats exactly the light I'm refering to.

Cargo area = trunk?

we DID get in the trunk for just a SPLIT second...it COULD be possibel they're in there...

we searched high and low for those keys...I wonder what it costs to have a new set made...:S

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think anyone else answering this post should be very careful that the poster IS actually the owner of the vehicle. I'm sure they're genuine but you can't be too sure!

I would recommend the OP contacts their local Toyota dealer for clarification on what to do next. You should normally get 2 sets of keys and a tag on one of the keyrings with the key code number which should allow the dealer to obtain new keys easily, though probably not cheaply.

5. aff219@gmail.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer the previous statement:

I'm not the owner, its my friends car. They are visiting from about 300 miles away and managed to lock themselves out of the car. Spare key isn't an option in this situation.

Update:
    Because of how cold it was, they went home and decided to handle this asap today. (called a taxi)

So they just got back to the car, it was unlocked, and everything was taken from the inside. (Clothes, cellphone charger, laptop, etc) I can only assume the keys were lost in plain site, and one of the local's (not the -greatest- part of the neighborhood) decided to check out the goods...

Still no keys.

What a great little vacation...

*sigh*

PS: If i wasnt legit about this I would have just smashed the window. lol.

Update2:

just got off the phone with the dealership...this is a 700 dollar problem (ONLY talking about replacing the key)

holy. crap.

6. Denmur

Denmur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi this is denmur from York Pa. I just got an 05 prius and ordered new key for 7.00 from Toyota dealer and they will cut it to vin# and the smart key is 220.00 will let you know how it works out.

7. Denmur

Denmur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi this is denmur from York Pa. I just got an 05 prius and ordered new key for 7.00 from Toyota dealer and they will cut it to vin# and the smart key is 220.00 will let you know how it works out.

8. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you leave a set at home? It is nice to have two S/K's

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your friends have discovered another reason to always lock the car whenever they walk away from it, and to lock it only from outside. The car would have immediately told them that something was wrong.

10. Bodgerx

Bodgerx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does your friend's insurance policy have lost key protection cover?