1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Installing Dashboard DC Power Outlets

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by passnthru, Jul 15, 2008.

1. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK...remember that I’m a guy who nearly got knocked on his fanny by an electrical shock while installing an extension phone. An electronics genius I ain’t.

I would like to install a couple of discrete DC power outlets on the driver’s side of the dashboard to power my Garmin Streetpilot c550 GPS and an aftermarket backup camera screen. This would allow me to shorten the (fused) cords dramatically and eliminate the unsightly tangle of cords strewn from the dash to the under-dash accessory outlet. The jacks would also allow me to easily remove the items and store them when I’m not in the car.

I’ve searched through a lot of posts, but, unfortunately, they only came close - no cigar. Here are my questions: Is this feasible? What power line under the dash do I tap to power the jacks? I actually prefer for them to be hot only when the ignition is on.

I’ve included some pics of the power jack and plug I’m thinking of using as well as a picture of a plug cover with retaining strap I hope exists somewhere to give the jacks a more finished look when not in use.

Any and all suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick
    jack.jpg

plug.jpg

Retaining Strap.jpg

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can go to Prius and see how Darell did his.

3. passnthru

passnthru Average Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very helpful. Thanks!

Nick