1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Is it safe to drive a 2001 getting codes P3006, C1213, and C1259

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by crazycheeseman, Apr 4, 2016.

1. crazycheeseman

crazycheeseman New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my situation- back in 2014 I had a local mechanic replace my HV battery and 12V battery after the Red Triangle of Death. Well yesterday that triangle reared its ugly head again! (and cruise control stopped working) Since this mechanic has 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on all parts and labor, I figured this should be covered. I drove my wife's car to work today, then after work drove the Prius over there to find them closed until Friday!

So I had the guys at Advanced Auto read the codes for me and got P3006, C1213, and C1259. I have done extensive reading and researching, much of it on this site on these codes, but my main question is this:

Is it safe to drive for a few days? I commute about 20 miles one way, and on certain days my wife commutes 10 to 22 miles the opposite direction. There are 3 days we go opposite ways this week, and at least one that is completely unmanageable without 2 cars. Could we drive it another 100 miles or so? Or would we risk one of us likely ending up on the side of the road?

We really can't afford much so we really don't want to have to rent a car, and borrowing cars or carpooling is pretty difficult. So should I spend the rest of my night trying to secure rides this week? Or will we be ok driving it less than 100 miles, until my mechanic gets back and can fix it properly?

I am really eager for advice. Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to send a reply!

2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    For P3006, yes you can drive her, do not worry but you will suffer on the MPG.

The other codes are most likely Aux Battery related. If I were you I would check the Aux Battery before and after a drive and one more time after an hour. Post your findings here.

3. crazycheeseman

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I check the Aux Battery? Do I need a separate voltage meter, or is there a way to check through the display in the car?

4. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Use your volt meter and check the voltage, note the reading. Start the car, note the reading. An hour note the reading, Post your findings here. :)

If you can borrow a Mini-VCI or Prius aware OBD2 Scanner, that would even be better so you can truly find out the state of your HV battery as well.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. crazycheeseman

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I didn't drive it today, but I checked when I got home. I turned the car on and went through the diagnostic mode and got 13.2V. I can check tomorrow a couple times if you need me to because I have to drive it to work. And I don't own an OBD2 scanner, but I included the codes the guy at Advanced Auto found. There was actually a P1436 code too, but I knew about that one already. My mechanic said it is almost definitely caused by a "sticky sensor" that he has played around with, and he said will probably eventually have to be replaced. Though, I have no idea if it would be related to the other codes I got, the P3006, C1213, and C1259. Again, thanks for the help! I'm glad to know I won't get stuck on the side of the highway tomorrow.

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    13.2 after start

So all we need now is prior to start voltage reading.

Yes, you will be fine, but don't take too long to correct the issue.

7. crazycheeseman

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Before start voltage was 11.0V, but switched after a few seconds to 10.7V so I am guessing that is bad from what I have read? After driving 30 min it was back to 13.2V

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Draco,
    I have seen some bad things happen when there is a P3006 or any of the Battery becomes weak codes.
    In fact last month I had a pack where it literally went up in smoke. Customer heard a loud pop, and there was smoke in the cabin. The car was not driveable. Pretty scary stuff.

DRACO likes this.
  9. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Master EricBecky,

Oh no, I totally understand and do recommend OP address this issue sooner than later as it will further harm most likely the HV Battery Cells. But it appears it may be under warranty by the previous wrench that worked on it. My MIL, drove her car for over a month without killing too many cells on her HV Battery, in the beginning I changed out the Aux Battery and the ECU with no success.

OP, Okay your battery is dead or going dead. I would pull the battery and have it load tested at an autoparts store 11.0v prior to start is a goner. after start it should be at 13.8-14.3v This may cure the C codes. But P3006 is still a HV Battery Issue.

#9 DRACO, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just drove one today where the light had come on and the battery is venting gas. It is not a good thing and the battery caused the car to unexpectedly begin to operate poorly.

There are battery failures that allow the car to be driven....and many that don't. The reality is that the OP doesn't know which situation he has.

I would hate to tell him things will be just fine, and then when his wife is pulling out in traffic, she can't accelerate properly. The car may be good for anther 6 seconds, or another 6 months. We don't really know. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

MDNHW11 and DRACO like this.
  11. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OP, wise words from a Pro.

Please try to get it addressed sooner than later, at a minimum, try to get a full reading of the state of your HV Battery and or Swap the Aux Battery if found to be bad. Not to difficult to change with a 10MM deep socket ratchet. Do not over torque it.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would also caution the OP to make sure the 12V is put in the car correctly. The B+ is closest to the cabin and the ground towards the rear. Reverse polarity installation is very bad as it kills control computers.

Bob Wilson

DRACO likes this.
  13. crazycheeseman

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, thank you all for taking the time to help me out!

My wife drove it on the 7th a little under 10 miles, and said it was acting a little sluggish, but got her to and from work. Luckily that night my mechanic called after hours, said he had gotten back and was checking all the messages from while he was gone, and called me right away. He had me bring it in and gave me a loaner.

I talked to him last night and it turns out a few cells on the HV battery were causing the issue. I asked about the 12V and he said that stood up to testing with flying colors, and the only thing they found wrong was the HV, which they will be replacing.

In hindsight, maybe I should not have driven it, but luckily it turned out ok. Again, I want to say thank you, I really appreciate all the advice you guys gave!

DRACO likes this.
  14. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Outstanding!

Lucky you have a honest wrench. You should ask him for a print out of the HV readings. Before and After repair.