1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP!!! Is there a computer geek in the house?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Feb 11, 2006.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I need help!!! My computer died. I'm logging on on my laptop. Can anyone offer assistance? Here's what happened:

Adobe Reader wanted to update itself, so I let it. When it appeared to be finished, Spy Sweeper popped up saying a new program had appeared in the startup list, something that sounded like Update Manager (abbreviated). I figured Adobe wanted to keep a constant background task running to check for updates to itself, and I didn't like that, so I told Spy Sweeper to delete it. Then the Adobe installer wanted to reboot. I said okay, and the computer shut down. But instead of starting up, all I got was, "Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready." After much searching I found the original Windows XP disk, and I put it in, but again I got the same message.

Advice???

2. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Daniel:

If you have an actual Windows XP installer disk then boot from that and see if you can "repair" your c: drive windows installation. There should be an option for you to do that. If your computer won't boot from the cd then invoke your bios and allow the cd to boot before your C drive. Hope that helps.

Good luck

3. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This may sound stupid, but make sure you do not have any USB Flash Drives connected to the system. After a failed install of a program my system rebooted and came up with the error since it was trying to boot from the USB Drive. I realize this is a long shot, but I've had the problem myself, since I use the flash drives for backups.

Good Luck

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How do I do that? I put the installation CD in the CD drive and pressed the power button, but I got the same message. How do I make it boot from the CD drive?

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We cross-posted. Nope. No USB devices attached.

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

you might have to press F8 or F1 or one of the other Function keys, right after you turn the computer on. Each computer has a different key to get to the BIOS.
    Once there, look for BOOT or BOOT sequence or similar and set it to boot from CD not HD.

7. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Geez, it's been awhile since I have done this........but........

When you first turn on your computer there should be a message that says hold down Function key 8 (F8) or something like that to go into your bios. The bios is where low level function preferences are made. One of those functions is to choose which drive boots first. Select the CD. It will then boot the installation disk AFTER you make the selection and exit properly.

Now.....and this is very important. If you are using a manufacturer's original "restore" disc then do not attempt this unless you want to restore your entire hard drive to the status you had when you first turned it on.

These instructions apply only if you have an original WINDOWS installation disk. Very important.

Ok, hope that helps.

8. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually F8 will take you into safe mode. F1 or F2 will take you into BIOS, where you can change the order of boot devices. If you can get to safe mode you could troubleshoot there, but I'm thinking you're not getting anywhere close to that.

Judging by the error message, check for a floppy in the disk drive. Might sound dumb...but the floppy usually comes up before the hard drive in the boot list for the sake of having a troubleshooting tool. Take out any cds, floppys, usb memory sticks, and check to make sure the bios is booting from the hard drive first.

Have you changed anything on the computer recently?

I may be a chick....but I'm a certified computer geek.

9. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There ya go. Thanks HokieHybrid.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HokieHybrid I love you!!!

You were right! It had nothing to do with the Adobe install. I had a floppy disk in the floppy drive. I had been trying to put some pictures on it to take to Kinkos to print on the Kodak machine, but of course they would not fit (I'd forgotten how tiny floppys are) and I had left it there.

After reading your post I took out the floppy and the computer booted just fine. Whew! Thanks a million!