1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! I've damaged my Prius (and my garage door)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey,

I was backing into the garage an hour ago as usual and for whatever reason, I've managed to hit the garage door.

The damage was minimal to both the door and the Prius but there is damage nonetheless. On the door, it was dented in a bit but still closed properly. On the Prius, there are some scratch marks on the roof.

However, my main concern now is my antenna. The rear of the base of the antenna has been lifted off its mountings. I've tried bending it back but rather than the base moving, the roof simply pops in.

Any idea on how to fix the antenna base?

TIA.

2. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 9 2007, 03:08 AM) [snapback]372932[/snapback]</div>
    Outside of pulling the headliner, and unscrewing the base from below, and then fixing it with a new one...I'm not sure what you can do.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :( crap. The whip antenna now nearly points upward. Hmm.. or maybe somewhere between straight up and the original angle.

4. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get a sharkfin. The particular model on the PC store sits astride the base and might still fit.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    could you post a pic of the area? Those of us with sharkfins should be able to tell if the damage would prevent the use of one or not.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Jonathan, so sorry to hear about your garage incident. i know how you feel. i had the garage door hit the hood of my Prius putting a foot long crease in it.

i 2nd the shark fin idea. its a 3 minute install and there seems to be no degradation in the signal strength that i have noticed.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see if I can get a pic. I've put duct tape over the gap at the moment because it's supposed to rain today (changing to snow overnight) so I don't want any water getting inside and soaking the headliner.

I like the sharkfin idea but it's US$70 (plus the ridiculous shipping charges to Canada)... I don't know if I want to shell out that much at the moment especially since I just paid $136.76 for a new tyre because of a nail in the sidewall of the old tyre.

Edit: N/m, Toyota is asking for Cdn$190 for the antenna BASE only (doesn't include the whip mast antenna). Yeesh. :( Looks like I'll be driving around with duct tape for a while.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 9 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]373231[/snapback]</div>
    That's a good price. It looks like it lists for $234 in US dollars and discounts to around $188 without shipping. See: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

- Tom

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way, it's pretty expensive for a part such as that... :(.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 9 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]372932[/snapback]</div>
    I'd write that up in my "s*** happens" ledger, learn from it, and move on. Try heavy drinking, it works for me!

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 9 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]373399[/snapback]</div>
    lol.. did you just copy that from the other thread?

Here are the pics of the damage:

[attachmentid=6205]
    In this photo, you can see the gap. It's about ¼ inch.. maybe 3/8 tall.

[attachmentid=6206]
    Here you can see my antenna that's almost upright.

Attached Files:

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, I cut-n-paste from the other thread. It's good material, and my Carpal Tunnel was flaring up so why retype it.

Seriously though, consider removing the antenna until you can fix the base. Driving around with that antenna blatantly sticking straight up, as if your Prius was "excited" about something, hmmm ....

Doesn't the base just pop in? I hope you don't have to go through the giant PITA of removing the headliner just to reattach the antenna base.

13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch!

I've had the garage door hinges do lines on my rear bumper before. :(

Do they have shark fin antennas for the Prius? It's great for drive-in car washes and a few of us hypermilers that want a slight improvement in aerodynamics.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 10 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]373836[/snapback]</div>
    This type of discussion should take place on FHOP.

:lol:

15. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 10 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]373836[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, no. The headliner has to come out. The base is secured with a large nut. With the base bent up as seen in the photos, I expect the roof is bent under the antenna base. Hopefully it can be bent back down (bodyshop help here?) or that I am wrong and it is just the base that is damaged.

In any case, here is the service manual page on the antenna base:

[attachmentid=6210]

- Tom

Attached Files:

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The roof looks fine from what I can see other than lines and lines of scratches from the pebbles lodged under the garage door... I probably can't do aynthing about the scratches unless I go to the bodyshop which is probably unnecessary expenses since it's on the roof (I'll touch it up with my paint pen and then try to get the wax or polish to buff out the fine ones).

So I have to remove the nut, eh? Can I simply remove the rear dome light to access it?

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ Jan 10 2007, 07:32 PM) [snapback]373864[/snapback]</div>
    Oh geez, that looks like a real major PITA. I could probably do it, but I sure wouldn't be HAPPY doing it.

Picture Mr. Incredible drinking heavily and softly cursing while removing the headliner ...

18. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jan 10 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]373868[/snapback]</div>
    Pop it out and take a look. I am only going by the service manual instructions. If you can get to it via the rear dome light, that would be a lifesaver. I looked at the headliner instructions - it goes on for 13 pages which is why I didn't post them as well. You have to remove almost all the interior trim first, starting from the floors because everything overlaps in the "wrong" direction!

- Tom

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Jan 10 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]373874[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, big guy, but can you put it back together? One piece, no wrinkles? That would be totally wicked! :)

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i can not believe the part costs for something like that. i just put on the shark fin and i didnt think it was that much...was it?? forgot how much i paid for it. and as far as shipping goes. mine was shipped from a place that was up near the canadian border in WA State...