1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP - Master Hybrid Light + VSC + ((!)), DTC=P3009

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LBH, Sep 22, 2011.

1. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    I have 2004 Prius with 234K miles on it. Have it for about 6 months and everything was great - love it - until yesterday.
    On my local trip to home depot, the Red Triangle with "!" light came on at the traffic light. I was able to drive normally (not stalled) and then few minutes later the VSC + ((!)) orange light were also On.
    On the MFD, orange car symbol with "!" also shown.
    I took to dealer, and they reported that DTC is " P3009 " with info code of "526" and "613". Dealer asked for $5,000 to replace Transaxle & I declined and drove it home, paid $140 for diagnostics

Any recommendation that I can save this $5K. TIA

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Did the dealer check the insulation resistance between the six terminals of the three–phase alternating current cables on the transaxle side and the body ground and found resistance too low? And check the cables and connectors and found them OK? If yes to both then the transaxle needs to be replaced. Maybe cheaper to replace with a used one. Was the transaxle fluid ever changed on this car?

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3009 on 2G likely means that the air conditioning compressor has the ground fault, not the transaxle. If the car can be driven and demonstrates no driveability symptoms, then you don't have to take any action right now.

However there is a safety hazard involved with a ground fault. This is similar to you being in contact with one side of your home's AC wiring. Nothing will happen unless you manage to contact the other side - then you will be zapped.

2 people like this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2 people like this.
  5. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for the replies/suggestion:
    @ 2009Prius: not sure what they did, they wanted $5800 first then reduced to $5000 which I also declined since it's too much for 2004 car. I had it since May'2011 & did not change the transaxle fluid yet, only did the oil change in early June'2011.
    @ Patrick: it is normal driveability & had no other symptom - just the lights. Safety hazard mentioned is really scary !!
    @ Seilert: I will check with LG in SF. My house to LG is about 60 miles - not sure it is safe to drive there with these warning lights on.

One question is "if HV trany is bad, why VSC & brake ((!)) warning lights also on?"

Thanks again !!

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The trans is the source of regenerative braking. If there is a problem with that, or the hybrid system in general, it affects all of the electronically controlled braking system, and the dash turns into a Christmas tree.

It is okay to drive to LG.

1 person likes this.
  7. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated 09/26/11: Today we took it to a local garage. They scanned & reset the warning light, no DTC was found after that - free of charge. Took for a city drive couple times and so far still OK. Will try to commute to work tomorrow. I hope it really go away !!

Any of you had this problem & went away before? What could be the cause? Thanks

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please read post #10 http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...le-vsc-transmission-problems.html#post1363946

This mentions changing transaxle fluid, which is highly recommended every 60000 miles. Have your local garage do this -- it is just like a manual transaxle fluid change.

Post #10 provides a quick way to reset your check engine light without a scanner or disconnecting the negative on the battery.

It is possible that this is an intermittent problem and you were sold the car with this having happened already.

9. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

What I'm wondering, based on Pat Wong's comment in post #3, is if the air conditioning system was recently serviced without the special lubricant for the electric compressor. The wrong lubricating oil in the A/C system could cause the ground fault, couldn't it, Pat?

Edit : But also from the experts here, what are info codes 526 & 613?

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.
  10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It basically means there is a ground fault within the transaxle, quite possibly due to moisture. That's one reason why a fluid replacement might cure. There is a TSB that addresses this, T-SB-0306-08, covering 2004-2008. It is essentially a one-liner: If {P3009 or P0AA6} & INF 526 & INF 613, then replace transaxle. Unfortunately, warranty coverage is 5/60 {non-CARB} or 10/150 {CARB}, but this does not help LBH with 234K.

1 person likes this.
  11. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Seilert - I will have transaxle fluid changed soon. BTW, what is a reasonable cost for this service? I might need brake fluid changed as well, and approximate cost?
    And yes, mine is 234K --> does not have warranty coverred for transaxle :(
    Ct. Ken : I did not have A/C service done recently (past 5 months).

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    San Jose? Probably $100.

Do not bother with the brake fluid, unless it has that bad mossy green tea espresso look. It is dealer-only, and even then it is a crapshoot if you get someone competent enough to bleed the system correctly.

13. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer recommended to do Brake Fluid change b/c of discolor fluid. I will check around for cost. Dealer also recommended to do Tune-up/spark-plug, fuel injection cleaning with throttle clean as well.

14. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's three stages of brake fluid: canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, and green tea espresso. Regardless of what the dealer says, what does it look like to you? I've yet to see a Prius that had stage 3, but I must enter the caveat that I live in high desert. A brake fluid change on a Prius is about a $200 job, by the way. Anyone who quotes less than $150, all they are doing is pulling old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster.

3 people like this.
  15. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right Seilert - my is somewhat "Canola Oil" to me (definitely not Green Tea expresso).