1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by hah2110, Jan 17, 2011.

1. hah2110

hah2110 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok... here is what I'm debating with... I want a Prius and live in Florida so it is hot and rainy. I can take over someone else's lease (2 yrs) remaining on a Prius V with Nav (not Adv Tech) for ~$340/month and roughly $500 out of pocket. It is a 2010. Alternatively, my local dealer has a Prius III with Solar/Nav package for $1999 down and $289/month. I'm pretty torn. In favor of the V is 17" wheels and LED headlights, but what else? In favor of the III is the Solar Package.

HELP!

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to those "prices" as I don't lease car nor do I buy cars based on "payments".

See Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota for tables on the various features. (The prices are old and have since been raised.)

The solar roof and remote AC might be really nice for your area. However, going w/17" wheels means you'll take a bit of a mileage hit. 3 door SKS (by going w/model four or above) is nice.

Personally, given that there seem to be so many complaints about the Gen III's nav system, high price of nav updates (not Toyota nor Prius specific) and the system itself being so expensive vs. a good PND, perhaps you should consider a car w/o a nav system at all. Unfortunately, getting the solar roof package means the nav system is included.

I personally have no big complaints about my Gen II's nav system other than the high price of map updates. However, if I were in the market for a Gen III now, I'd probably buy a model two or three w/o nav.

3. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're just asking opinions, I just bought the 4 with solar pkg. I much prefer the looks, but the function is also important to me. The coolness the moon roof allows, besides being pleasant, helps avoid the mpg-adverse a/c.

Drift: after first 200 miles, I'm at 53.1 mpg.

4. hah2110

hah2110 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, guys... Any other ideas?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many months is the second lease?

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Living in the same type of climate zone, I can say the solar is a very, very nice feature. You can add 17's to the III (and sell later) but you can't add solar to the the V.

7. hah2110

hah2110 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How effective is the solar cooling? Is it built into the keyring? How far will it go? It would cost a fortune to add 17" rims to the car! When you say sell later, do you mean the tires or the car? LED headlights is something I really wanted. How hard is it to install aftermarket? What else am I losing with the III?

8. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How effective? It's like leaving the windows open.
    How far will it go? What go where???? "keyring" limit is about 20/30 feet
    There are no after market LED conversion kits.

9. hah2110

hah2110 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaving the windows open on a hot day isn't very effective, is it? 20-30 feet isn't getting you anywhere? Does remote start come on it? What other "whiter" bulbs would fit in the Prius? Can anyone help me decide!?

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Solar venting is activated by a button on the dash. The button on the keyfob is the remote A/C which is also great for warmer/humid climes but it's range is not all that far.

Yes, sell the 17 rims (or 16's or 18's) and put the stockers back on when you turn the car back in to recoup some of that "fortune". Personally, I wouldn't add bigger wheels/tires since they would reduce MPG and that's the point of the car.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LOL.

OK, you want the V. Get it.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of our previous cars (2001 Mazda Protege ES) had 17" rims with low profile tires and the ride was noticably bumpier. I was also younger at the time and wanted the "look". Now that I'm slightly older :D I prefer the 15"s for the slightly smoother ride.

Instead of payments have you calculated the total out of pocket cost? Personally we've never leased a vehicle, so no help there.

13. hah2110

hah2110 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do you say that? I want the led lights yes... But I would accept new bulbs in the projectors that are whiter. The ventilation would be cool I just want to know how effective it is. What about the advanced tech package. does anyone use the features on that package? They are cool but may just be novelty. Wouldn't the 17" handle better? What else do I lose from 5->4 and from 4->3?

Nexus S ?