1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help me find front door panel removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by goodsam, Feb 11, 2006.

1. goodsam

goodsam New Member

I have found dash removal. I have found right vent for access to radio removal. I have found rear door panel removal. But I can't find front door panel (to install speakers) removal. I know you guys get tired of telling us newbies the same thing over and over, but I can't find it and would appreciate some help.
    Thanks

2. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Why would it be different than the back door?

3. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Good question...but then, wouldn't I be stupid if I assumed it was... but it wasn't? Just trying to keep from tearing up the car.

If its the same, tell me and I'm a happy camper...

4. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

I looked all over the internet (as well as all over PriusChat) and I never found a guide to front door panel removal either. I'm going to replace the front speakers at some point but haven't quite gotten around to it yet.

My understanding is that removing the trim from the front doors is "more or less" the same as for the back doors, but the devil is in the details. There are more electrical switches to remove for the front doors. Also, the rear doors don't have tweeters like the front do (assuming you don't have the JBL stereo), and replacing the tweeters could entail some custom fitting, depending on what replacement tweeter you choose. Plus you have to figure out how to take off the old tweeter. I'm told you "just pull off the cover" but I haven't had the nerve to try yet!

On top of that, I believe that if you disconnect the driver's door window switch you may have to reset the "auto down" feature (I think that the instructions for doing this are in the owner's manual, so they should be fairly straightforward).

If you want more professional assistance, I would suggest that you go to the Crutchfield website and call their toll-free car stereo installation number. Ask them all your questions and you will be surprised how helpful they are. After all, they want to sell you the gear so that you can install it yourself, and they have trained installers manning the phones. If you do this, don't forget to check with them on how you would run new wires from your door speaker crossovers to your new tweeters. You may have to remove the side kick panels to thread new wires from inside the door (or wherever you put your new crossovers)up to the new tweeters.

Good luck, and if you go ahead and do this yourself, please let the rest of us know how it went so that we can learn from your mistakes!

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Thanks everyone. I feel pretty confident, but a little worried about the split panel thing. If anyone has any advice about the split panel, I'd love to hear (read) it.
    Thanks again

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm sure most of those guides were made by a bored person who wanted to take it apart.. if you look.. you see clips or pins.. clips slide.. pins pull out.. just peek befor eyou pull on it.. i've removed the door handle.. and i could be bored enough to go pull it apart just to tell you guys how to do it. (i've done it before on many things.. center speaker.. lights.. etc)

Lemme know how it goes.. if someone can't figure it out.. i'll test on my car.

8. thejq

thejq Junior Member

Ok, I just replaced the speakers in both the front and back door this weekend. Thanks to all the wonderful posts in this forum, I've avoided many headaches. I don't think I need to repost many of the points, but here are some of my tips. FYI, I installed Infinity 6010CS in the front and 6012I in the back. I've a 06 with package 1 (the most basic package)

1. When pulling out the front tweeter casing, pull out in the direction perpendicular to the front door. Any other direction may damage the plastic pin. There are two pins, top and bottom. Make sure to hold both the top and bottom when pulling.

2. The tweeter pops out rather easily from the casing. I attached the new ones using hot glue.

3. The connector that plugs into the tweeter contain inputs from the radio and outputs to the subwoofer.

4. If the door panel doesn't come out easily, don't force it. Try using a cloth wrapped flat head screw driver to pry the plastic clip directly.

5. The Infinity speaker frame doesn't fit the speaker openning which is bigger than the frame itself. So I cut out the OEM speaker and attach the metal frame to the plastic OEM frame using metal clips and screws.

6. I sticked the cross over right beside the speaker and on the inside of the door using double sided tapes.

9. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Do you have to take out the tweeter to get the door panel off...I only want to replace the lower speaker...
    thanks

10. thejq

thejq Junior Member

Yes, I think so. But I suggest you either install component speakers or 2/3 way but disconnect the OEM tweeter.

11. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

So did you simply replace the old tweeter with the new one, and not bother hooking the new tweeter to your new Infinity crossover? From the Prius wiring diagram, it looks (and sounds) to me as though *all* frequencies are sent to the stock tweeter in the standard Prius. If that is the case, I would assume it would be far preferable to feed your new tweeter from your new Infinity crossover, since then it would only be reproducing high frequencies. To do so would mean running a new wire from the Infinity crossover up to the new tweeters. Did you do that? From your post it sounds as though you did not.

Also, please tell us how your new speakers SOUND compared to the old ones. Do you think that you still need to install an amplifier to get decent sound?

(I'm no stereo expert - just trying to learn what to do myself so that I don't screw it up.)

12. goodsam

goodsam New Member

I am putting an extra pair of speakers I have from a TC in the front door (no tweeters in speaker) and keeping the Prius tweeters. Since both are Toyota products, I hope fitment will not be a problem and maybe I'll be lucky and the speaker wire plugs will be the same. My concern is that the TC has a 200 watt HU and I'm not sure how the TC speaker will like less power from the Prius HU. The TC speaker appears to be better quality...poly cone and large magnet on back. If anyone has put aftermarket speakers in their Prius without changing the HU and would tell us the RMS rating and how they sound... that would be appreciated.

13. thejq

thejq Junior Member

Actually I did connect the new tweeters to the Infinity crossovers. I route the wires from the speaker inputs to the crossover and back to the tweeter behind the door panel. It sounds hard, but it's really easy when doing it. Also I choose not to cut the plastic film when routing the wires, so I carefully peeled back the plastic and cut open the rubber glue with an utility knife to avoid over stretching. (yes I like things perfect B) )

As for the sound, it's 100 times better, or shall I say $100 better. (gotten the speakers off ebay). As for the amp, I don't think I will end up getting one. It's too complicated, and I don't like loud music either. I prefer quality over quantity. Plus I have more important things to do, like putting in an IPOD adapter.

14. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Feb 12 2006, 05:21 AM) [snapback]208052[/snapback]</div>
    Presto,

The links of your message are broken.
    Can you fix them? I need the info.

Thanks,
    Ken R

15. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  16. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Feb 12 2006, 05:21 AM) [snapback]208052[/snapback]</div>
    Both these links are old and don't link. Is there an archive somewhere? I really like to see the speaker guide.

Sorry never mind

17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, mrohde, here's some speaker info:

What are the 9 speakers in the JBL stereo?
    They are:
    1. Front driver's tweeter (top front corner of front door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    2. Front driver's full range (bottom front corner of front door) - 16 cm (6.3") 2ohm
    3. Front passenger tweeter (top front corner of front door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    4. Front passenger full range (bottom front corner of front door) - 16 cm (6.3") 2ohm
    5. Rear driver's tweeter (top front corner of rear door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    6. Rear driver's full range (bottom front corner of rear door) - 16 cm (6.3") 3ohm
    7. Rear passenger tweeter (bottom front corner of rear door) - 2.0 cm (0.8") 6ohm
    8. Rear passenger full range (bottom front corner of rear door) - 16 cm (6.3") 3ohm
    9. Center dash (above screen) midrange (center channel, not subwoofer) - 6.5 cm (2.6") 2ohm

<div align="center">[attachmentid=9368] </div>

Attached Files: