1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me ponder my decision

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Mar 1, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This thread is not about the Tesla Roadster itself. It's about the decision whether to buy one:

The car has strong points and weak points, discussed in the other thread. But every car has strong and weak points. Even our beloved Prius has a few weak points, discussed in many threads. But the decision to buy a Tesla Roadster has other issues:

Item: I want the car. For all it's weak points, I want one, and I can afford it. But it's not available yet.

Item: The company seems solid, and the deposit is refundable, but Enron seemed solid also. If it all goes up in smoke, the entire deposit is lost.

Item: The claimed delivery date for a Tesla ordered now is May of 2008. That's longer than the average waiting time for a Prius ever was. (People who waited that long did so because of mix-ups or because they tied themselves to a poor dealer.) And it's only an estimate. They are putting no promises in writing.

Item: With such a long wait, who knows what might come up in the mean time? I am not a sports-car enthusiast. I am an EV enthusiast. I'd rather have an EV Camry than an EV Porsche (which is how I characterize the roadster.)

I stressed out exceedingly during the two months I waited for my Prius. How am I going to handle waiting a year and a quarter?

On the other hand, some time this summer (expected, claimed), after the first run of cars (the Founders series, I think, which is scheduled before the Signature 100 series) all "members" will be invited to actually drive the car, possibly at a test track which Tesla hopes to book for the purpose. If I place my order I'd get to drive one.

So here's my question:

If you could afford the Tesla roadster, given all the above, would you order one? Or would you wait, maybe another year until there's more information, or even another 5 years, hoping for the Tesla Sedan? Note please, that I bought the 2004 Prius, against the general advice not to buy the first year of anything. My reasoning was: If I buy it now there may be added risk, but if I wait, I lose a year of driving the car I want.

Everyone's thoughts on the subject will be greatly appreciated.

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My thoughts are:

- If more people were willing to put down a deposit, Tesla, among other companies, would see how large the demand for EVs are.

- If you've got the money, and it would make you happy, get it.

- If you've got extra money, and want to get me one too, get it. :D

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing that would give me pause in your comments is the fact that you were so stressed over your Prius wait. If you think you can set your mind to accept that the wait may well be into 2009 and you won't be freaking out or upset if it is that long then I think you should do it.

4. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd echo the good doctor, but also the other possible flaw that you mentioned: if they go bust, you're out the cash.

In my own little world, if I had the cash to buy that car, I wouldn't buy it. I'm super excited about it, and hope it does well, but I'm like you, more of a "Camry EV" than a "Porshe EV." The "Porshe EV" mentality is going to turn you into a gearhead if you're not already one. The car will become your hobby, so if you don't want to think about a car that way, don't buy it. I know that if I bought it, it would become a passion for me, and possibly supplant things in my life that really are more important than caring for a beautiful, expensive car.

Also, I waited 2 weeks to take delivery on my Prius, and even that tiny wait seemed like an eternity. I couldn't stand the open-ended wait!

5. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you really want an EV why not find a used RAV or one of the many EV conversion cars out there? You won't be out nearly so much money, and I think you would find better support for it than a one-of-a-kind Tesla with as yet unknown customer service. I have a feeling that servicing a Tesla will be similar to maintaining any highend sports car: expensive.

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, and I'd also say find out about the cost of battery replacement before committing if you do buy. I think you mentioned in your other thread that you didn't have an answer on that yet. It could be a deciding factor.

7. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I had that kind of money lying around I would probably can the Tesla idea and convert the Prius to a plug-in instead. Heck, you would have money left to buy a spare Prius or two if something catastrophic happens after plug-in conversion.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. Please keep them coming.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 1 2007, 07:23 AM) [snapback]398451[/snapback]</div>
    I have not seen any available conversion cars that are freeway-capable and have a 100-mile range, other than AC Propulsion's xBox, which is only available in CA. I am utterly incapable of installing a conversion myself. And I have a strong aversion to anything that looks like an SUV, even the relatively small xBox or RAV4. And I don't want a used car. A RAV4EV would be a very old car, with very old technology.

Do you have any links to anyone performing conversions on new non-SUV cars, and selling to the public? One problem is anything not an SUV has difficulty with space for the batteries, and all the ones I've found on the net are NEVs, not freeway capable, and/or with very short range. I want to be able to drive from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene and back.

Service and support for the Tesla is indeed an unknown. But at least there is no engine to service, and routine maintenance is once a year.

9. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume the cash is in escrow? So if the bust you get your money back. I also think they are well funded at this point and have good interest so getting more funding, if needed shouldn't be too hard.

As you're economy will allow you to have $50k in escrow I would say "go for it". If you change your mind or if phoenix SUV EV materialize you can pull your money (right?)

It also comes down to need. Will a roadster be practical for you? or will it change your behavior? For example: While I could commute in the car I couldn't pick up my two dogs from "doggie daycare" in it. This would mean that when (as frequently happens) I need to pick-up my dogs instead of having them bussed home (as is the norm) I would have to go home first and change cars.
    Same problem could be for groceries. I don't like to shop for that on-line and it could be a problem to fit enough food into the car.

Other then that it's a GREAT EV car and probably the most promising approach as they use "proven" technologies (from AC Propulsion), though Phoenix Automobile is gaining attention in my book and might be closer to a practical EV then tesla is but with shorter range (does that matter to you?).

It's an interesting time, if I had the money I would probably try to put it where my mouth is and try to support EV production where I could find it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 1 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]398459[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't as 1) It wouldn't support true EV development and 2) even with the 15000 conversion around you will still only be able to drive about 34 Mph with-out an engine (or so I understand)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Mar 1 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]398451[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure about this. The cars are now old and buying them second hand doesn't send as strong a signal to car manufacturers as I would like. If I had the money I would invest in something more visible (and we know GM's CEO are looking at the tesla and trying to "beat them to it" for project whitestar).

10. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Everyone else has brought up some good points. But my offer to take one that you buy me still stands. ;)

11. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, I think you should buy a Tesla Roadster for each of the first 3 responders to this thread.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    While the Tesla is nice, I'd be more inclined to get one from Phoenix Motorcars. One came to where I work, although I didn't get a ride in it (didn't think to ask). Unfortunately, it's either an SUV or pickup.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 1 2007, 07:35 AM) [snapback]398459[/snapback]</div>
    I missed your post before. You posted while I was typing.

A year ago I'd have seriously considered the Prius PHEV conversion. But they seem to have died in the water. Since I cannot do the conversion myself, I was hoping EDrive Systems would come through, but they never did. Today I would not consider it, for the reasons Somerville mentions: True EV operation in a Prius conversion is limited to 34 mph, and very gentle acceleration. It will greatly increase your mileage regardless of driving speed, as it uses electricity even when the ICE is also necessary. But it's not an EV. And I want an EV.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Mar 1 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]398463[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if the money will be in escrow. Tango does it that way, but I don't know about Tesla. They may be using it for operations or to fund the actual car construction. The deposit is refundable, which is a point in favor of buying. But the interest is not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Mar 1 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]398469[/snapback]</div>
    If you are a young, attractive, available female who does not smoke, PM me a photo and we can talk. The woman who becomes my serious girlfriend or wife could pretty much have the car she wants. (Plus travel to some fun places with me.) I deeply regret that my budget, though ample, does not extend to buying $100,000 cars for strangers or even casual friends. :(

Oh. I forgot to add:

Yes, the Tesla would actually be practical for me. The trunk is very small, but if I have them put my groceries in plastic bags (rather than tall, upright paper bags) all my normal groceries would fit. I have no dogs to transport. And it would be my daily in-town transportation. I'd keep the Prius for road trips or those rare occasions when I need to pick up someone at the airport.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if the wait is going to stress you out, and it's that long, i'd really give that point some consideration before proceeding. your health is first priority, and stress is quite detrimental to that.

i guess the rest is up to your assessment of risk. are you willing to lose the money if all fell through? i'm assuming you'd be very upset but not bankrupt and ruined. i know you want to show support for the development of EVs as well. given that not everyone can show this kind of support, that is, putting this kind of money where their mouth is, this is a unique opportunity for you to literally vote with your dollar.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    P.P.S. As for Project Whitestar (Tesla's high-performance sedan) I doubt that will be available in 2009 as the news articles say. I'm thinking 2010 or 2011 at the earliest. Maybe I'd sell the roadster for the sedan when the time came.

16. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Daniel, my opinion is skewed by a massive State of Colorado tax credit; essentially all of the difference between the Tesla and the Lotus Elise. Unfortunately, you have to recover it in under 5 years, and I don't pay $12,000 a year in state tax. So, if I was you, but lived here, I would get one. Since you don't live here, that brings up the question; is there an EV incentive in your home state? Perhaps it is large and would influence your decision?

Also, you are too quick to write off the RAV4-EV. They are old technology, but you assume that that is bad. The NiMH batteries are fabulous, essentially showing no degradation. The Tesla will not be as good; there will be degradation at some point. The tradeoff is range. The RAV4 EV's get about 100 miles (the 2003's a little further) and seat 5 easily.

Most RAV4 EV owners have well-cared for them. They lack the sexy factor that the Tesla Roadster has, but they haul people and groceries quite well. You say want an electric Camry? Get the RAV4-EV, it's built on the Camry chassis. You can probably find a RAV4-EV in excellent condition if you are willing to pay a premium (above $45k).

The other thing to consider with the Tesla Roadster is its ability to be used in adverse weather. The RAV4-EV is probably better suited for that, but I would get a 2002 with the heated windshield.

One more factor, the Tesla Roadster is overpriced. Everyone admits that, including Tesla. The idea is that the premier buyers will fund the next generation of cheaper vehicles. In five years, if Tesla is still around, the Roadster will cost a lot less. Essentially, there will be some serious depreciation. The RAV4-EV may actually appreciate.

Nate

17. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would be nervous of any entity holding my money for that long of a period, with no certainty of their stability.

Have they completed any orders yet?

Will they let you view a copy of their Audited year end financial statement? After all, you are "investing" this significant amount of money in something and you wouldn't be investing money in any other type of security without knowing something about historical gains or losses.

I like the escrow comment above. Just make sure it's an independentely managed escrow company that holds a suitable Errors and Emissions policy. I think that you can request to be named as a certificate holder so that you're notified in the event that their insurance is cancelled at any time during the policy duration.

If you find that your money is safe and you find the car to be practical for all of your needs, go for it. It seems that you have the money to burn so why not spend it on something that you'd be enjoying so much.

And, I know you didn't ask for it but I'd like to offer one more piece of advice.....stear your EV clear of girls who would be interested in you based on the vehicle that you drive.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

My vote is to not get one at this time. I would wait and see what happens. There might be other things that become available.

Now you said this:

young, attractive, available female who does not smoke,

How young is young to you?? :huh: (If 42 is to old then I would only come in at 3 out of the 4).

BUT the question is? Are you young, attrative, available male, who doesn't smoke??? :unsure: (or does it only go one way??)

19. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I noticed you are in Washington and Tesla has this on their website about service outside of their service areas:
    Can I buy a Tesla Roadster if I live outside of California?
    For those customers who live in an area where we have or will have a Customer Care Center by the end of 2007, we feel confident that we will be able to provide the necessary level of support. This would include customers in California, and the metropolitan areas of Chicago, New York City and Miami.

For customers who are still interested in purchasing a Tesla Roadster outside of those areas, we will be happy to sell you a vehicle but we will charge a $8,000 out-of-service-area premium to cover our costs for transportation of the vehicle to the nearest Tesla Motors Customer Care Center or any other related servicing expenses.

We currently have no plans to offer the Tesla Roadster outside of the continental US.

I like the idea of an escrow account. I would have doubts if Tesla would not go for something like that, especially with no track record. What do you think the resale would be on one of these?

20. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 1 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]398529[/snapback]</div>
    Young check
    Attractive check - a humble check, but a check nonetheless
    Does not smoke I quit 2.5 years ago and have no plans to start back, so check
    Available female um, would three out of four work for you?

Regardless of what your final decision is, keep us posted.