1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help, multiple codes after first EGR, manifold Clean

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Otium, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tips are urgently needed. So I'm not mechanically inept, but the Prius is completely new to me. 2014 Prius with 65k miles. I just followed the Nuts videos on how to remove the EGR and manifold for a complete clean. It was definitely in desperate need and I carefully cleaned it all. I thought I reinstalled everything well but now have one extra 12mm bolt (edited) and when I started the the car it shows the check engine light and throws P0102, P0133, and P261C.

P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) circuit is low
    P0133 - various possibilities:
    Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
    Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
    Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
    Inappropriate fuel pressure
    Faulty fuel injectors
    Intake air leaks may be faulty
    Exhaust gas leaks
    P261C - water pump circuit low

Are these codes that mean I need to take it apart and start over or is it something I must let it think of and maybe they clear? A little, and I do mean little, coolant leaked out when disconnecting things despite clamps, but I'm stumped, and frankly terrified as I don't get the Prius electronics.

Any help is greatly appreciate. Currently it is permanently parked in the garage.

Read more: P0133 TOYOTA HO2S11 Circuit Slow Response

#1 Otium, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm actually surprised a 2014 with 65k miles would be in desperate need of this EGR cleaning. It should just be mildly clogged with that mileage. Are you sure the car has only 65k miles?

I would first check if your 12v battery is weak and reporting some bogus errors. If it's weak, charge it up and reset the car (disconnect the battery for a minute). Then drive the car and see what errors come up after the reset.

As for the 14mm bolt, is that possibly from the wiper blades?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Desperate need is probably strong, but it was grimy with a decent amount of grunge all around. Previously I've only had old fashioned fuel injection and buildup is a new thing for me. Purple Power soak cleaned up everything amazingly and in not all that much time so it probably wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Definitely not layers of cake like some of the photos I've seen.

I'll check the 12v and top it off overnight with a trickle charger.

I correct myself. It is an extra 12mm, not a 14mm. It is one of those from the interior for a heavier mounting. Now I suppose I have to take it all apart again, ugh. Is there a list of just what nuts are 14mm so I can narrow down the search. The NutAndBolts videos were great, but I do wish someone had a step by step written version.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have the water pump code, are you sure you plugged the connection back in securely:whistle:?

Might be also good to double check your work for other opportunities;).

Think about an oil catch can too(y).

Samuel Williams Jr, Otium and JC91006 like this.
  5. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I found the 12mm, it belonged in the upper EGR cooler bracket. I missed it watching the video real time on my phone. I’ve since put the videos on a laptop and will take it apart and do it again tomorrow.

My next concerns are if I misrouted a hose or missed a plug. I didn’t think I touched anything on the water pump. I also thought o signed all connections. Now I am having doubts about possibly having brushed some gunk into the fuel injectors when cleaning then.

Worst case I’ll be making an expensive trip to the dealer.

The oil catch can has already been bought, I just need to source a bracket. I don’t want to do this very often.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At 65k miles, you really didn't need to do any of the maintenance to your car. You should've just drove the car until 100k miles and do a complete tune up, plug replacement, etc. 65k miles, the car is just broken in.

I normally don't group many maintenance items together and do them at the same time. If anything goes wrong after the maintenance, I would need to know what I worked on. If I did 5 different things and all different areas, it would be hard for me to pinpoint where something went wrong.

tellyourdogisaidhi and Otium like this.
  7. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sadly I am only now realizing this. I thought I was being quite intelligent doing out all at once. I know have experience. If I had wisdom I would’ve learned from others experience.

Methinks it will be a tedious day.

8. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Success. Thank you for the advice. After topping off the battery the voltage is still a bit low AND I had missed the plug for the water pump. Having an electric water pump is completely new to me and I simply missed it in the video reassembling everything. With the topped off battery and the water pump actually plugged in the car is happy as can be.

I was unaware that low voltage could cause issues. I will pick up a battery tomorrow. It looks like the dealer has the best warranty.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Let’s get @NutzAboutBolts name right one time; kudos for the videos.

regarding the MAF sensor code: it’s connected? Sensor’s round back of the air filter housing lid.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I did ours around 70k kms, and it was “getting there”, don’t regret it.

11. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MAF was connected but the intake hose to the side of the air box had a small pinch which may have affected it. Either way, I’m happy.

As for misspelling the name, I might get around to spelling it correctly, but I won’t add the @.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    BTW if you do add the @, PriusChat will help you spell the name by showing valid completions of existing user names. On desktop version at least. Took me years to notice that!

Otium and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i wouldn’t do it either, my time is too valuable to correct my own spelling. Take it or leave it.

Otium and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Otium

Otium New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not being a forum junkie nor on Twitter that is actually news to me. Seriously, thank you for teaching me something I didn't know!

Separate question. 12v battery resting state is 12.73v, engine running 14.3v. Is that still good or do I just want to take it in for a test somewhere?

wheezyglider likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    nothing wrong with your battery

Raytheeagle, Mendel Leisk and Otium like this.