1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! My miles have turned to kilometers!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by harper42, Aug 19, 2006.

1. harper42

harper42 Member

JUst driving down the road, saw a police car and instinctively looked at speedometer. It read 70.... I'm in a 55mph area. Thought to myself, "That can't be!!" Got to looking at speedometer and it is registering Kilometers instead of miles!! How could that change have taken place? And, most important, HOW DO I get my MILES back? Thanks for your help.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dulcimer @ Aug 19 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]305809[/snapback]</div>
    There is a button right below the MFD, near the tripmeter button and the emergency flasher button. It is called Km/M or something like that. Press that and see what happens. If you sitting still, both modes will read 0.

3. harper42

harper42 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Aug 19 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]305812[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. It was just too obvious! I was looking for some setting on the MFD or a little obscure button somewhere!

4. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :lol: This happened to me yesterday! Exactly the same thing. I assumed it was on the MFD under settings or something that you can't get to while moving. I had my daughter with me and asked her to look in the owner's manual to figure it out. She looked in the book then reached forward and very deliberatly....pushed the botton below the MFD! :rolleyes:

We got a good laugh out of that one.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My last car had a button like that, but it changed just about everything. It changed the speedometer, average speed, temperature, odometer, instantaneous mileage and average mileage.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< 2004 Prius "Owner's Manual" Page 3, Item 8 "Km/h or MPH button." Page 116 "Km/h or MPH button - You can switch the display between km/h and MPH by pressing the button." I expect the page numbers are the same or close in '05 and '06 manuals.

Many "secrets" are detailed in the Owner's Manual.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DH noticed that button and it irritates the bejeezus out of him...He reckons it DOES belong buried somewhere on the MFD, and that that actual button real estate could be used for something more, well, USEFUL. How often do any of us use that button? Ok, if you live on the border between Canada and the US--maybe. But how many of us is that?

Since I'm the one who actually drives the Pri, it doesn't bother me so much...I tend to use the buttons on the steering wheel (and wish that my Package #3 had an Info button there...not that I need any more encouragement to mess with the MFD) and those closer to me on the dash (climate and audio), so I don't much care either way.

But I guess it is somewhat mysterious why there is one whole button dedicated to mi/km... :unsure:

8. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 19 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]305877[/snapback]</div>
    I use that button a lot. As you guessed, I live right on the border (I can see it from my house), have family on both sides, and work on both sides too. Obviously that's a pretty unique situation though, and I agree that the button should be software, not hardware. And when pushed it should switch everything from metric to US i.e., km - mph, L/100k - mpg, C - F temps.

As for the steering wheel, my gripe is that it should have a fan speed button.

9. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wilco @ Aug 19 2006, 10:19 AM) [snapback]305887[/snapback]</div>
    Dang. I forgot about that one...The main reason I keep having to mess with the climate on the MFD is because of my choices on the steering wheel being limited to "auto" or "off." :(

10. creamer

creamer New Member

I tend to cycle through the trip odometer frequently, and I found that it was too easy to hit the "km/h" button by mistake. Especially in the dark. I'd also hit the hazard flasher, which would be rather embarrassing if cars were behind me.

So, I made a feeble little mod so I could hit the odometer button without hitting the others:
    [attachmentid=4541]
    Available in finer novelty stores everywhere.

11. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 19 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]305906[/snapback]</div>
    Just raise or lower the target temp; that'll lower & raise (in that order) your fan speed.

12. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miwaku @ Aug 19 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]305961[/snapback]</div>
    ALMOST but not ENTIRELY true...

When/if I use the steering wheel button...the choices get changed to "recirc" (as opposed to "outside air") and "face only" instead of "face and feet."

I will accept recirc...but I have feet that get hot...so cannot just use steering wheel buttons, unless there is something else I have missed? :huh:

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 19 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]305979[/snapback]</div>
    Are you looking at the temp. adjustment arrows right under the air conditioning button on the left side of the steering wheel? Those work for me to change the fan speed. As I find the AC blowing too much cold air, I raise the temp. with the up arrow and the fan speed adjusts accordingly.

Dave

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Aug 19 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]305998[/snapback]</div>
    Yes...at least I THINK so...but what keeps happening is that it changes to "face" only AND to "recirculate" rather than "face and feet" and "outside vent," which is where I want it. Or am I missing something else? :(