1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HELP! My tape deck stopped working!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drawntofire, Mar 19, 2010.

1. drawntofire

drawntofire New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am about to drive on a cross country trip and need my tape deck to hook my ipod up. I hate the FM receivers for iPod because of the interference and being constantly unable to find a signal.

I like my tape deck adapter. Its cheap and has worked since I bought the car in 05. Suddenly whenever I use it, it makes a loud squeeling/buzzing sound from the speakers a few minutes after using it. I thought my speakers were blowing at first. But, my cd's work fine and the radio works fine with no problems at all.

I bought a new tape deck adapter to see if that was the issue and the same thing happened so it wasn't that. I tried an actual cassette tape and the same thing happened so its definitely the deck itself. I bought a cassette cleaner from the internet and cleaned the heads with it and it still doesn't work.

I can't seem to find anyone that has had the same problem. Does anyone have a suggestion for a way that I can fix this myself???

I have an 05 Prius. no nav. I leave on Monday!!!!

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only thing I could suggest is if you can find an old head cleaning tape and run it through a few times. If you had more time I'd suggest a new aftermarket stereo head unit tho.

- D

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not that familiar with the '05 details. Do you have a 12V power
    receptacle (lighter) and a 1/8 inch (headphone) mini plug jack in the
    center console?

If so, here's your answer: Belkin.

This item plus a short male-to-male 1/8" mini plug cable from Radio
    Shack, etc, inputs the audio signal from an iPod headphone jack as AUX.

Well, at least it does so on my '08 with OEM nav & JBL audio.

Fairly clean sound; much better that the casette deck dealie, or FM
    transmittr. Not as good as direct digital. Should do fine though.

Hope this helps.