1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Need your thoughts on EBH for 06 Hi Hy

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by tdperkins, Sep 13, 2007.

1. tdperkins

tdperkins New Member

I'd appreciate some help from the group -
    I want to install a block heater in my 06 Highlander Hybrid, and talked to the dealer about this and even showed them instructions that have been posted online (hoping they'd get it right). They are willing to do it, but tell me that they stopped doing EBH installs on older cars years ago because they tended to leak after 2-4 years (sometimes with a sudden coolant loss). They admit that coolant has more anti-corrosive agents in it nowadays, and will do the install if I wish. They say that worst-case scenario (the sudden coolant loss notwithstanding) is that I might have to have an EBH reinstalled if it leaks in a few years.

Any thoughts about this? I'm willing to pay the $$ and really want to have the EBH done - but it truly is NOT as simple as doing it in the Prius (where no holes in the casing have to be made) and I'd like to know the real risk of future leaks (if anyone can assess this).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & advice.

2. tdperkins

tdperkins New Member

I'd appreciate some help from the group -
    I want to install a block heater in my 06 Highlander Hybrid, and talked to the dealer about this and even showed them instructions that have been posted online (hoping they'd get it right). They are willing to do it, but tell me that they stopped doing EBH installs on older cars years ago because they tended to leak after 2-4 years (sometimes with a sudden coolant loss). They admit that coolant has more anti-corrosive agents in it nowadays, and will do the install if I wish. They say that worst-case scenario (the sudden coolant loss notwithstanding) is that I might have to have an EBH reinstalled if it leaks in a few years.

Any thoughts about this? I'm willing to pay the $$ and really want to have the EBH done - but it truly is NOT as simple as doing it in the Prius (where no holes in the casing have to be made) and I'd like to know the real risk of future leaks (if anyone can assess this).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts & advice.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are my online instructions, we're coming up on 2 years with it in without any sign of leakage. We don't tend to use the EBH on the HiHy as much as I do on the Prius b/c my wife doesn't like messing with it. It's not a difficult, albeit a bit involved, do-it-yourself project.

I guess I need to know more about what info/thoughts you're interested in.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are my online instructions, we're coming up on 2 years with it in without any sign of leakage. We don't tend to use the EBH on the HiHy as much as I do on the Prius b/c my wife doesn't like messing with it. It's not a difficult, albeit a bit involved, do-it-yourself project.

I guess I need to know more about what info/thoughts you're interested in.

5. tdperkins

tdperkins New Member

Hey Evan,
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I know those are your instructions - and it was good to meet you at HybridFest! The dealer here doesn't "do" block heaters (even Prius, as a rule) so I figured clueing them in about how to might be helpful. They have tried to talk me out of it because "we don't need block heaters in cars anymore," but I have been persistent in trying to educate them about their value in hybrids. Swimming upstream.

I don't want to do the install myself, but am willing to pay the dealer to do it. I am just worried about their "leak" concerns and don't want to be causing more trouble than it's worth. Do you think this is a likely scenario? Do you think the EBH will stay in place "permanently" or if it loosens, I'd get some warning of a leak before a catastrophic loss of coolant on a trip?? Yikes!

6. tdperkins

tdperkins New Member

Hey Evan,
    Thanks for replying. Yes, I know those are your instructions - and it was good to meet you at HybridFest! The dealer here doesn't "do" block heaters (even Prius, as a rule) so I figured clueing them in about how to might be helpful. They have tried to talk me out of it because "we don't need block heaters in cars anymore," but I have been persistent in trying to educate them about their value in hybrids. Swimming upstream.

I don't want to do the install myself, but am willing to pay the dealer to do it. I am just worried about their "leak" concerns and don't want to be causing more trouble than it's worth. Do you think this is a likely scenario? Do you think the EBH will stay in place "permanently" or if it loosens, I'd get some warning of a leak before a catastrophic loss of coolant on a trip?? Yikes!

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2hybridfamily @ Sep 13 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]512156[/snapback]</div>
    I do not think it's likely to leak, but it's certainly possible as the seal that is present with the factory plate that is removed is certainly not as good with the new EBH. It may be possible to apply some new sealant..it seems that there was some that came with the EBH itself (check the instructions, my memory is pretty bad).

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2hybridfamily @ Sep 13 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]512156[/snapback]</div>
    I do not think it's likely to leak, but it's certainly possible as the seal that is present with the factory plate that is removed is certainly not as good with the new EBH. It may be possible to apply some new sealant..it seems that there was some that came with the EBH itself (check the instructions, my memory is pretty bad).

9. tdperkins

tdperkins New Member

Evan,
    Thanks for your thoughts...I'll probably go ahead and have them do it.